Walmart - DID NOT CHECK ID WHEN USING A CHECK

2106 of 2450 Walmart Reviews
Jan 10, 2010

I went to Walmart in Palm Springs CA store#1832.I used a check to purchase my items and was told they dont check for ID.I asked the cashier why and she stated "I probably have good credit".So does this mean that anyone can use my checks?

If someone stold my check book they can use my checks? I called spoke w/a manager Debra and she said its against the law to ask for ID on a credit card or check.

That's ridiculas.So Walmart allows stolen credit cards and checks, and doesnt protect the consumer.

6257631
Review #167280
I had the same issue 0
Had an experience with Walmart?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
BigBruce

Jul 27, 2012

Stores CANNOT ask for ID when customers use a credit card. This is per the merchant agreement with ALL the credit card companies.
As for checks, do you really think checking an ID will guard against someone stealing your checks. Odds are that person already has your ID if they stole your purse and they can just alter the picture to use your checks. Stop being a baby and don't leave your checks in your unlocked car.

Jedi Knight Ethan

Jul 27, 2012

Yet if you they did check for ID you would complain and turn it into a discrimiation issue of some kind.

ccopestick

Jul 27, 2012

I also had my credit cards stolen. 300 at walmart 400 at radio shack... not only were they stolen but they had personalizzed pictures of me and my family on them... obviously no stores pay attention ... id love to sue the stores but don't know how to go about that or if it can even be done!

Sue

Jan 18, 2011

It isn't the job of cashiers' to make sure your card isn't stolen. It's your problem. It's not policy to check id unless you're buying booze or tobacco.

Tracy

Jun 07, 2010

:( Today I spent half of my day between the police department and my bank trying to resolve almost $1000.00 dollars of credit card fraud through a Wal-Mart. It seems that you can give a cashier a hand written card number on a piece of paper and they will run that card WITHOUT id?????? Despite the charges being $583.00 and $478.00 at t the same Walmart location. I am looking into options on some type of either petition or class action lawsuit against Walmart and their policies. In taking care of this I have found 4 other people that have been affected by Walmarts policy, where they too had money stolen, but by check, where Walmart did not ask for ID. When talking to the banker that was helping me today, her comment was the "It is ALWAYS Walmart". The police officer too seemed to feel the same way, adding that their video surveillance is a joke, offering little help in finding the perps. Bottom line, Walmart may end up losing the money and their items, but the hassle, the time I took off work and the trouble I am dealing with is not acceptable. I for one will start with NEVER shopping at a Walmart again and spreading the word as fast as I can, hopefully other victims will to.

one

May 09, 2010

what about California? I live there, and they ask for i.d. at least in my section of California.

It IS a requirement, unless it is under a small amount like $15 -$20. Anyone who says other wise is ignorant, or they don't have a good policy.

Demi

May 09, 2010

I UNDERSTAND HOW BADLY YOU WERE TREATED
:sigh

Schlotter - Wal-Mart doesn't CARE if they have their products paid for with stolen checks or credit cards for THAT matter, all they care about is making that $$$$!
YEAH...yours truly spent over $200.00 on groceries (Among my groceries was a 10lb bag of dog food and crate of bottled water.) …Well, the Wal-Mart cashier NEVER validated that the credit card I was using was mine (AND IT WAS...) HOW EVER, after leaving the cashier and out of this store, I too got stopped by the Wal-Mart NATZI Greater… to check my receipt :roll ...I was put off by the "criminal treatment" and spoke with the store manager after complying. His idiotic reply was that "Wal-Mart has trouble with shoplifters..." INSULTED by his remark, I replied - "So I look like a thief at the exit but not at your check out counter?!!" I showed him the amount that I spent in his filthy store and informed him that NOT ONCE - did his employee check the card I was using – validating that it was mine. He said that it wasn’t the store’s policy – in which I refuted the fact that the BANKS do ask that ALL parties receiving funds by way of THEIR CARDS (The BANK’S PROPERTY!) – VALIDATE the person’s identity against the card…IT’S THE LAW! I summed it up for this uneducated – uninformed
... Show more

mofite

Feb 01, 2010

i dont know about u but im always asked for id.

April

Jan 11, 2010

This isn't just a Wal-Mart thing - Lots of retail stores don't make you show ID when using a check or credit card. And I don't know where you've been hiding for the last few years, but it's not exactly a new thing... At least not where I live.

Rush

Jan 10, 2010

uhh..... YOU'RE the one who lives in (liberalized) California

×
You were reading a complaint about Walmart.
Filing a new complaint about
×