Roseburg, Oregon

092315; I purchased a group 24F auto battery from Wal Mart for $104.97 by credit card, plus an old battery for the core. It was a "5 year" battery.

092415; I returned the Wal Mart battery, unused. They refunded the $104.97 in cash and the customer service manager basically said that's all I had coming to me. They could not give me the old battery back, because they had sent them out the day before. She explained about it being a core, and that I could not get it back. This didn't make sense to me.

If I did not have a core in the first place, the battery would cost $116.97.

In a nutshell, I gave Wal Mart $104.97 and an old battery to pay for their new battery. Then I brought the battery back and with what they gave me in exchange, I would not be able to buy their battery again if I wanted to.

Another manager type person saw my point, and I was given the $12 in cash for my core... To be fair about this, they could have given me a rain check for somebody's core when one came in! But the $12 was reasonable instead.

I returned the Wal Mart battery because I found a 7 year, 24F battery from Bi Mart for $79.99 instead.

I came out okay but it was a bit of a hassle.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Manager.

Reason of review: Uncertain return policy.

Preferred solution: Establish fair and clear policy for auto battery returns..

Walmart Pros: Store hours, Prices, Selection, Willingness to discuss situation.

Comments

Walmart policy on battery exchange is dumb. I purchased a Walmart battery with a 5 year warranty.

After one year the battery lost it's charge. I exchanged the battery for a new one but I had to pay a core fee of 12 dollars. I explained that the returned battery was the core, they disagreed and asked for the 11 dollars.

When I purchased the first battery I took in the old battery (core ), why would I have an additional battery. Just ***!

You are right . I am a Zone Manager over the front end at one of the many walmarts and credit is not returned in cash hence it is a credit line not real cash.

I received "real cash".

I feel sorry for the manager that gave him the 12 dollars back. So you want credit on something you received credit for. You sir are a ***.

@Anonymous

I turned in my old battery the first time, and it was worth $12 credit toward a new battery.

So if I left the store with only the $104.97, then I would have to pay full price for a battery elsewhere. If the shelf price at Bi Mart is $79.99, then I would have to pay $91.99 because I no longer had my core.

@Anonymous

I do too, but sometimes when a grown man acts like a five year old and throws a temper tantrum because he did not get what he wanted the best thing is to give in to them, but that is not a good strategy, because it teaches him he can throw a temper tantrum again and get his way.

@KevinRichards

How do you really KNOW I "threw a tantrum"? Did you witness this?

@oaksnacorns

He probably did not but if your attitude in the store is the same as the one in your review that would not surprise anyone who replied to your review.

@Anonymous

Wow, nobody but Kevin can do math, walmart Nasically bought the old battery for $12, by discounting the new battery to 104. When the new battery was returned, he should receive 104 plus the old battery or $116, because If he goes to buy the exact same battery at Walmart it will cost 116, and now he has no core to receive the $12 discount and by the battery for the same price.

Hello, somebody please write it down so you can understand it better.

When he returned the new battery in itself he was also returning the core as one. Some people just can't understand simple things.

oaksnacorns

"You were not entitled to a refund on the core charge because they had already deducted the $12.00 from the price of the new battery when you purchased it. You said yourself that if you hadn't brought the old battery in then the price of the new battery would have been $116.97 instead of the $104.97 that you paid for it."

I paid $104.97 PLUS my old battery.

In other words, the old battery had tangible value. I could not turn around and buy another Wal Mart battery with the $104.97 alone.

"You were refunded what you paid and I'm sure you knew that the old battery could not be returned to you the following day as they are sent to be recycled and there is no way of identifying which old battery was yours anyway."

I was refunded the dollar amount but I was not refunded the battery. Returning any old battery also would have been fair.

Like I was saying, I would have settled for "somebody's" old battery. That old battery would have had $12 worth of VALUE that I could use to reduce the price of a new battery at any store.

"Why would you think you were due a refund for something you never paid for?" But I originally DID pay for the core. At one time it was a working battery that I had paid for. "Sounds like a scam to me." I don't understand you. "Also, if you paid with a credit card, your refund should have gone back onto the card you used and not given in cash.

The whole thing sounds fishy." I too thought it was unusual that they refunded me in cash, so I mentioned it. You seem to insinuate that I'm not telling it like it happened. You're entitled to your opinion of course. But if you haven't done your research, what's that opinion worth?

If you want, call the folks at the Cottage Grove Wal Mart, (541) 942-4600. There was a young trainee customer service lady who took care of me, as well as her trainer.

Her trainer called I think the store manager on the phone, and he agreed with her. Then another manager type lady came by and listened to things, said she saw my point, and told the trainee to pay the $12.

@oaksnacorns

If the price of the new battery was $116.97 without an old battery and that's what you paid them, then that's what you should have had refunded to you. However, if the price was $116.97 and you gave them an old battery as well then you would not have to pay the $12.00 core charge so they deduct the $12.00 core charge from the price of the new battery.

( recycling fee).In other words, they paid you $12.00 to recycle the old battery for you. This fee was deducted from your new battery. You paid $104.97 for your new battery that would have cost $116.97 without the old battery so why do you feel that you should be refunded for the old battery when the $12.00 core charge was already taken off the price of the new battery when you purchased it? What your saying is that you got a refund for the new battery and even tho you didn't have to pay the $12.00 core charge due to the fact that you brought in an old battery, you think they should give you an old battery back so you can take it and use it to have the $12.00 core charge deducted from yet another new battery that you purchase from them or another store?

How many times do you expect to use the same old battery to save $12.00? I have done my research and yes this sounds like a scam. You were in no way shape or form entitled to another old battery or a refund of $12.00 because you were already given that when they reduced the price of the new battery by $12.00. If you had paid the $116.97 and gave them an old battery then yes you would be entitled to your old battery back or the $12.00.

They probably gave it to you because you raised *** and they just wanted you out of the store. I hardly doubt they agreed with you however it may have seemed. You got over on them this time but thankfully everybody isn't a pushover. If they had given you your old battery back or someone else's just say, would you have given them the $12.00 difference in the price of the new battery back?

That would have been fair. What would your reasoning for not giving it back be?

They gave you a $12.00 savings on a new battery just because??? Your logic makes no sense.

@Anonymous

“If the price of the new battery was $116.97 without an old battery and that's what you paid them, then that's what you should have had refunded to you.”

---> I agree.

“However, if the price was $116.97 and you gave them an old battery as well then you would not have to pay the $12.00 core charge so they deduct the $12.00 core charge from the price of the new battery. (recycling fee).”

---> I agree.

That's what happened.

“In other words, they paid you $12.00 to recycle the old battery for you.”

---> This is an exchange. They gave me $12 and I gave them the old battery. The old battery is worth $12 in this transaction. “This fee was deducted from your new battery.

You paid $104.97 for your new battery that would have cost $116.97 without the old battery...” ---> I agree. “... so why do you feel that you should be refunded for the old battery when the $12.00 core charge was already taken off the price of the new battery when you purchased it?” ---> I should be refunded $12 for the old battery because I would need that $12 to add to the price ($104.97 for example) to pay for a new battery without my core. The $12 core charge was NOT already taken off the price of the battery.

The stated price of the battery on the store shelf is “$104.97”. But if I came into the store without an old battery, that marked price of “$104.97” is actually $116.97 at the checkout. “What your saying is that you got a refund for the new battery and even tho you didn't have to pay the $12.00 core charge due to the fact that you brought in an old battery, you think they should give you an old battery back so you can take it and use it to have the $12.00 core charge deducted from yet another new battery that you purchase from them or another store?” ---> Yes, that is correct. I could turn around and I would need $12 + $104.97 to buy a W-M “$104.97” battery, or I would need $12 + $79.99 to buy a Bi-Mart “$79.99” battery.

How many times do you expect to use the same old battery to save $12.00? ---> I would give up an old battery to buy a new one at “$104.97”. And when that battery becomes old, I could turn it in and buy a new one at “$104.97”. So I'm always paying that shelf price, so long as I turn in the old battery.

I guess you could say that I'm saving $12 every time, but I'm also giving up a different battery every time. I have done my research and yes this sounds like a scam. You were in no way shape or form entitled to another old battery or a refund of $12.00 because you were already given that when they reduced the price of the new battery by $12.00. ---> Yes I was entitled to another old battery or $12.

If I had walked out of W-M with only $104.97, I could not have turned around and bought another battery with the money they gave me. That “$104.97” battery really costs $116.97. If you had paid the $116.97 and gave them an old battery then yes you would be entitled to your old battery back or the $12.00. ---> This is hypothetical, but by my reasoning already stated, I paid $116.97 plus core, then I would expect a return of $116.97 plus core.

They probably gave it to you because you raised *** and they just wanted you out of the store. I hardly doubt they agreed with you however it may have seemed. You got over on them this time but thankfully everybody isn't a pushover. ---> FYI no I did not raise heck.

If they had given you your old battery back or someone else's just say, would you have given them the $12.00 difference in the price of the new battery back? ---> There would not have been a $12 difference. They gave me back $12 + $104.97. Their “$104.97” battery would cost me $116.97.

I'm not making any profit in this deal. That would have been fair. What would your reasoning for not giving it back be? They gave you a $12.00 savings on a new battery just because???

Your logic makes no sense.

---> They're not giving me any savings on a new battery. Their “$104.97” battery costs $116.97.

@oaksnacorns

You can twist this story any way you like. Walmart paid you $12.00 for the old battery by deducting that price from the new battery.

You returned the new battery and were refunded for the price YOU actually paid out of pocketfor the new battery. The old battery and core charge were taken care of the day before. You gave them the old battery and they took $12.00 off the price of the new battery for the core. You were refunded the $104.97 that you paid out and tthat's ALL you were entitled too.

You yourself said that the price of the new battery was $116.97. You said you paid $104.97 after giving them the old battery. Now your saying that the price of the new battery was $104.97 without the core? Which was it??

You're changing it now. You seem to be one of those scammers who think you can reasonably confuse people into agreeing with you. Not everyone is gullible. The more you try to explain your concept, the more guilty you look.

Give it up already!

You got away with it this time. I just hope others aren't so easily taken in.

@oaksnacorns

Nope, you did not stop changing your story, you tried to scam them and I don't see a problem with that because they make millions a year. You are just angry you could not get away with the scam.

I did not scam Wal Mart

This is what happened;

I gave W-M $104.97 + old battery; W-M gave me a new battery.

I returned the new battery to W-M; W-M gave me $116.97 cash.

And this is what I could do;

I give W-M $116.97; W-M gives me new battery. So how did I scam- make a profit- from the transaction with Wal-Mart?

everyone loves k richards. he's so damm stoopid and has no freekin clue what's going on here.

@keveemama

I know a lot more than you do. Learn how to type before bashing me.

You were refunded what you paid and I'm sure you knew that the old battery could not be returned to you the following day as they are sent to be recycled and there is no way of identifying which old battery was yours anyway. Why would you think you were due a refund for something you never paid for? Sounds like a scam to me.

Also, if you paid with a credit card, your refund should have gone back onto the card you used and not given in cash. The whole thing sounds fishy.

@Anonymous

I think the OP was trying to scam them and is pissed off he could not get away with scamming them.

@KevinRichards

Kevin, quit jacking off in the wmart parking lot and do your homework!!