Greetings,

I am writing this e-mail in hopes that I will be able to help. While visiting a local Walmart store in my community I ran across an incident that needless to say was not the first time. A young child who is diagnosed with a disability was creating a scene in the store. The child was with his grandmother who was desperately seeking support. I stood back to watch to see how the incident will evolve. (My intent once again is not to get any one in trouble or to criticize the lack of training amongst staff members.)

The child (probably 6 years old) was yanking on the grandmothers purse, yelling, crying and swinging at the grandmother. I circled several times and heard the comments of store employees…(not nice ) and other patrons once again (not nice ). One store employee said that she had had enough and intervened….The employee placed her hands on the child..I could not watch any longer…I asked the grandmother if she needed assistance and she said yes….I excused my touch and asked her to calmly begin to walk close to me and ignore the behavior…at this time others had arrived including the security guard…The child continue to swing and was told by store employees "Kid, if you touch me I will punch you!" I introduced myself and asked that the employee not touch the child and that clearly this is a child with a disability….the employees all gathered loudly berating the grandmother and how it is truly a lack of parenting…(in different tones) The incident continued but the child began to de-escalate after a call to the father. The point of this e mail is that in times like this and with all of the disabilities that are in our communities…the employees of such a large corporation like Walmart should have something in place to welcome families of children with disabilities. I have been a special education teacher for 23 years, I am currently finishing up my Doctorate in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis on Behavior. I can provide the training that they need! I am just a mom and a teacher but I will offer my services and want to help educate the staff of Walmart. Procedures should be in place with a core team that is trained in handling these incidents…no one should have to go through this….how can I assist? I can start right here in my community in Texas City, Texas.

Penny Sweeney

1202 17th Ave North

Texas City, Texas 77590

409-457-1341

This person wrote the review because of "training needed" of walmart staff from Walmart. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Walmart to offer any options to resolve the issue.

The most disappointing in user's experience was customer care, poor service and training needd. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

Comments

Of course they're not trained to handle disabled children, or any children for that matter. They are retail associates, not doctors.

If walmart sent their employees to special education training they would have to raise their prices to cover the bill, and then the average joe could not afford to shop there. I do think this situation was handled poorly (if your account is accurate, which it sounds very one sided) however, I do think that if the Grandmother is going to take her Grandchild shopping she should have knowledge on how to handle his outbursts and keep him under control.

Oh, and by the way, I don't they are going to call you to help train their associates. I know you are just trying to help, but you just come off as a know-it-all-buttinski.

Hi anonymous , I am very sorry if you have had a poor experience with your anus. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about this further.

Would you mind giving me and update on your anus by giving us a call at 1-866-273-8606 at your earliest convenience? Please ask for Jane upon calling and leave your debit card number.

We'd like to make sure we charged you for the Novocain and resolve these concerns to your complete satisfaction. - Thank you, Amanda @ aspen dental

to Not our Fault Staten Island, New York, United States #1060335

wrong review.

Staten Island, New York, United States #1060195

It does not matter if the child has a disability, if they cannot behave in public they should stay at home. What if the child was older and stronger and hurt someone.

Besides even disabled children can be disciplined.

Why do I get the impression that the "grandmother" is really you. They are not trained to handle freaks, and parents and grand parents of freaks should be able to handle them in public or leave them home.

bobs2015
Saginaw, Michigan, United States #1060052

My mother had a sure-fire cure for bad behavior in public places: a slap across the head. It worked. But, then there weren't know-it-all pseudo "experts" like you to "help" her discipline an unruly child.