7.2K views

I purchased a gold necklace for my Husband at the Walmart in North Las Vegas, located at 1807 West Craig Road, phone number is (702) 633-6521. It cost approximately $280.00 and it was bought as an anniversary gift for him. Today (July 1, 2012) we took the same necklace to two different jewelry stores and was informed that the necklace is FAKE! The only real gold in the necklace is the 10K stamped clasp! The rest of the necklace can be picked up by a magnet.

I am in total shock! This necklace has been on his neck since the day I gave it to him - has never been taken to any jewelry store or repair shop - and it is totally impossible that it has been switched by someone else (we live alone and do not have guests) - but the fact remains the same - he has NEVER taken it off since the day I gave it to him.

I will do whatever I can to make sure that the world knows what type of quality jewelry - or should I say DOWN RIGHT FAKE AND FRAUDULENT gold that Walmart is selling to its customers.

Comments

I was just going to buy a ring from them. They claim all of their jewelry is authentic.

Did they ever do right by you by giving you a refund or another necklace that was authentic?

I know this was a few years ago but I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

It is fake! I bought it and got like a copper color in less than a week 14k gold plated

I was ripped off by walmart to the tune of over 800 bucks. I brought all of it to my local pawn shop And they told me it was fake.

I got 0 dollars for it!!! I tell everyone i know that all of walmarts jewerly is fake. I got a refund plus a credit for everything i bought at walmart jewelry counter. What does that tell you.

Basically.

They want me to keep my mouth shut. I only go to a pawn shop to buy my gold now.

I live in Mo and had the exact same thing happen to me. Bought a 14 K gold necklace only to find out it's fake. Walmart will not do anything about it, not even a simple gift card

This is horrible and I recently bought gold jewelry from walmart.. it specifically says on the tag 10kt gold.

does not have any indicators anywhere in the store on the packaging or anywhere else that would indicate otherwise real gold does not tarnish real gold does not turn your body green..so not only is it illegal for them to misrepresent what they are selling but it is also highway robbery to sell a cheap metal such as stainless steel and spray it with gold color and sell it for gold prices...

so I say that to say I have contacted a lawyer and will be suing Wal-Mart which will turn into a class action lawsuite.. you should send me your info so the lawyer can also contact you

to Kate #1427955

I just purchased the chain from Walmart that's 10 karat gold but it reacts to a magnet so I decide to go look up on Google and see if there's any other stories like mine and I found that Walmart is selling fake gold chains isn't that false advertisement here I'm buying a change taking this gold but I never had a chain that's gold stick to a magnet or react to a magnet and now I don't want the chain and I'm ready to take it back and file a complaint

to Kate #1575985

Hi Kate, I would like to be a part of your class action lawsuit. Please contact me at kellylreeves@hotmail.com if it's not too late.

My daughter had a mother's ring made for me after I survived a life threatening DVT, double pulmonary embolism and numerous trips to the hospital for renal failure, sepsis and anemia in 2016. The doctors weren't sure I was going to make it. Because I did the ring was a symbol of the kid's love for me but soon after the gold around the ring started to fade off. That's how I knew it wasn't real like they told her.

Even the receipt they gave her assures it is authentic gold. It's sad and I feel bad for her but it's Walmart's fault. I used to trust them.

If I can't trust them about this what else can I not trust them about? It would be best to buy from a real jewelry store or a pawn shop than take a chance with places like Walmart unless you don't mind fake jewelry.

Fremont, New Hampshire, United States #1304441

Walmart gold is exactly what they advertise. Other jewelry companies lie lie and lie to protect their overpriced jewelry.

It is called greed.

Walmart has never advertised it's chains as SOLID gold.

A magnet test is not even a good test to see what the base metal is. For instance a copper base metal would not be detected as a base metal with a magnet test.

When you buy gold the only test for purity is an acid test.

to Charles Sapienza #1411557

That's complete and utter bull crap... any retailer who sells jewelry must state on the piece of jewelry or on the tag what the piece contains..

if it is gold it will say 10kt...... if it is gold over silver it will say 925 which is the indicator for Sterling silver then 10kt.. Wal-Mart in fact sells take jewelry that is advertised as really 100 percent gold..

and they will be sued because of it believe me.. so pass that along to your bosses and I have loads of proof that they are cheating people myself including.

to Kate #1494421

Kate my name is Jean and I today had this imbarrising situation occur.I purchased for my birthday a gold figurro necklace even up graded to a cuban linked chain which totaled me 427 dollars. Which was in april.Today, I walk into a pawn shop for a 100 dollar loan and was refused in front of many customers and told it was fake.I have returned it and explained to the store manager of the situation.I mentioned i would be apeaking to a lawyer.It was embarrasing and iI was scared as *** I wouldnt get my money back and now god knows when it will return in my account.so no money and no chain which left me eating spagetti with breakfast sausages for dinner.

And I hope walmaet and laywers see this and really think after the laugh about my dinner.. Im highly upset and hope someone will help.as u see I googled to see if this happens' and found this thanks please update me on how you were compensated for your teoubles.thankyou .

Fremont, New Hampshire, United States #1304438

you lie and should disclose who you work for!

Mountain View, California, United States #1293464

Noted!

Helotes, Texas, United States #1269811

Did walmart give you your money back or offer anything after you posted this on the web cause that's really messed up!!

Saint Charles, Missouri, United States #1218673

That is totally wrong. 10k gold and any gold jewelry will not be able to be picked up by a magnet unless it is PLATED or GOLD FILLED. If it is actually 10k gold it will NOT have any iron in the piece and will NOT be able to be moved or picked up by a magnet.

to Anonymous Los Angeles, California, United States #1231017

Not true i had a hollow 10kt chain an it was barely picked up by a magnet.. took it to a jewelry store to sell they confirmed it was real an got 40 bucks for it

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1216633

You know that 10k hollow gold is real an can be picked up buy a magnet lol

LadyScot
Naples, Florida, United States #1204247

Gold plate will fade very quickly. If it were fake, you would have seen it before you ever used a magnet on it.

Why would you ask a jewelry store if it was fake?

They are not interested in your necklace. They are interested in getting you to spend money with them. It is a well known fact that some jewelry stores are less than honest when it comes to 'competition'.

I had a jeweler tell me my diamond was not real, when we were discussing a band I wanted to add to my ring. I picked out my stone, and I know how to use a loupe and diamond tester.

He pissed me off so much. All he wanted was to sell me a 'real' diamond.

They are unscrupulous. You want to know if your chain is real?

Go to a pawn shop. They have no interest in selling you.

ransom

Do you have something that states that it is solid gold or gold plated or just gold color? Also how many carats.

This info would help your case a lot if you can prove that what they sold you was misrepresented. Otherwise you may not have a case.

At this point they may be able to say that they never said it was what you think it is.

Just a suggestion.

I found out yesterday that my rings i paid 300 for on sale are fake. Im pissed.

They can sell it as "gold" even if it's just plated gold. I'm impressed after years of wearing it and him not ever taking it off that it hadn't chipped, etc. That's some great quality fake gold or plating!