8.7K views

I purchased a gold necklace for my Husband at the Walmart in North Las Vegas, located at 1807 West Craig Road, phone number is (702) 633-6521. It cost approximately $280.00 and it was bought as an anniversary gift for him. Today (July 1, 2012) we took the same necklace to two different jewelry stores and was informed that the necklace is FAKE! The only real gold in the necklace is the 10K stamped clasp! The rest of the necklace can be picked up by a magnet.

I am in total shock! This necklace has been on his neck since the day I gave it to him - has never been taken to any jewelry store or repair shop - and it is totally impossible that it has been switched by someone else (we live alone and do not have guests) - but the fact remains the same - he has NEVER taken it off since the day I gave it to him.

I will do whatever I can to make sure that the world knows what type of quality jewelry - or should I say DOWN RIGHT FAKE AND FRAUDULENT gold that Walmart is selling to its customers.

Comments

Mountain View, California, United States #1293464

Noted!

Helotes, Texas, United States #1269811

Did walmart give you your money back or offer anything after you posted this on the web cause that's really messed up!!

Saint Charles, Missouri, United States #1218673

That is totally wrong. 10k gold and any gold jewelry will not be able to be picked up by a magnet unless it is PLATED or GOLD FILLED. If it is actually 10k gold it will NOT have any iron in the piece and will NOT be able to be moved or picked up by a magnet.

to Anonymous Los Angeles, California, United States #1231017

Not true i had a hollow 10kt chain an it was barely picked up by a magnet.. took it to a jewelry store to sell they confirmed it was real an got 40 bucks for it

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1216633

You know that 10k hollow gold is real an can be picked up buy a magnet lol

LadyScot
Naples, Florida, United States #1204247

Gold plate will fade very quickly. If it were fake, you would have seen it before you ever used a magnet on it.

Why would you ask a jewelry store if it was fake?

They are not interested in your necklace. They are interested in getting you to spend money with them. It is a well known fact that some jewelry stores are less than honest when it comes to 'competition'.

I had a jeweler tell me my diamond was not real, when we were discussing a band I wanted to add to my ring. I picked out my stone, and I know how to use a loupe and diamond tester.

He pissed me off so much. All he wanted was to sell me a 'real' diamond.

They are unscrupulous. You want to know if your chain is real?

Go to a pawn shop. They have no interest in selling you.

ransom

Do you have something that states that it is solid gold or gold plated or just gold color? Also how many carats.

This info would help your case a lot if you can prove that what they sold you was misrepresented. Otherwise you may not have a case.

At this point they may be able to say that they never said it was what you think it is.

Just a suggestion.

I found out yesterday that my rings i paid 300 for on sale are fake. Im pissed.

They can sell it as "gold" even if it's just plated gold. I'm impressed after years of wearing it and him not ever taking it off that it hadn't chipped, etc. That's some great quality fake gold or plating!

Radford, Virginia, United States #913845

I bought a $375 necklace from walmart in fairlawn va.I wore it for a month and noticed it was turning green .So i took it back to Walmart with the receipt.They had enough nerve to tell me ths necklace did not come from them.They sent the necklace off to have it fixed but Walmart repair sent it back still messed up with a letter stating that the necklace never came from Walmart.I lost the money fitter the necklace bc I Broke it in a bunch of pieces and threw it at the cashier.

Now walmart has a different person who sells them jewelry bc their last distributor was selling them fake jewelry.

Now when I buy any gold I carry a jewelers loop and strong magnet.

to larry #991817

It's loupe, and you don't carry one, you cannot even spell it.

to larry #1411559

What is a jewelers loop?

Saint Augustine, Florida, United States #904935

You need to report the fake gold... that is a serious situation!

Someone must have switched out the real necklace (someone who works at the store, or possibly a previous customer...). You are out $280, which is NOT a small amount! Follow up on the situation, don't wait to report it! Get a SIGNED statement from 2, if not 3, different jewelers- that the necklace is NOT gold- have them state which part(s) are real gold.

Go to the Walmart store manager. If he doesn't get the situation taken care of, go to the police department & tell them what happened, and file a report... What Happened Is NOT a small matter... someone stole the real necklace & you are the VICTIM!

Hope you get the situation taken care of without any problems... life is frustrating enough!

to Stormchaser Fargo, North Dakota, United States #905180

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, I know live in a state thousands of miles away.

I thought about doing exactly what you suggested when I found out that the necklace was a fake but figured that I would be the one accused of swapping the necklace instead of Walmart employees.

This also happened in Las Vegas - the scam of all scam cities! I am sure that this kind of practice is rampant in Las Vegas and in all Walmart stores located throughout the country.

It is unbelievable to think that they keep getting away with it! I cannot stand that store!

Interestingly, just lately, I had taken some gold charms to get appraised and I found out that a 14kt gold dolphin charm (which I had also purchased at a different Walmart in a different state many years ago) was also fake! So you see - it is not an isolated event.

Thank you for posting to my complaint - I appreciate it.

Irving, Illinois, United States #897997

LOL - you people buy GOLD at WAL MART????

to HA HA #991818

And then act like they lost a fortune when they're down like $280. What did you think, that you would get a balling chain from walart for $300?

10k chains start at $800, for anything that doesn't look like dental floss. They should stop trying to live above their means, it just makes people pity them.

to Anonymous #1054233

A reply for anonymous to HAHA from Jun 05,

You are very rude, first off. And you are trying to sound like you are all that, talking down about people who can't afford to throw $280 away like it's nothing.

What do you do to earn your money, if you think losing $280 is no big deal? I seriously doubt that you have any money anyway, because if you did you would know better, AND you would also know that it would be *** to spend $800 on anything less than 14 carat gold.

to HA HA #1054255

You are as *** as they come. If you bought a food item at Walfart, would you not expect it to be food?

During the spring of this year I found out that two bridal sets my husband and I purchased were of a lesser quality than walmart advertised. Each set was advertised as white gold.

Yet after appraisal I found out that they were not. Although it took a couple of months of fighting I was successful at getting my refund. I involved the BBB as well as my state's Attorney General. In addition I used feedback from sites like this to substantiate my claim that walmart has knowingly and consistently ripped customers off.

In addition I also held on to my receipt which helped my case.

Despite walmart's so called "90 day return policy" the receipt I got after purchase had absolutely no mention of this policy. It does take diligence, but if more of us fight these companies will realize they can't treat consumers like trash.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States #781949

I purchased a chain at walmart that reads 10k gold in Oct. 2013.

I took it off to clean it and its peeling and changing colors.

So today FEB 4 2014 I GOOGLE INFO ABOUT THIS PRODUCT AND WANTS WORLD TO KNOW THAT THIS PRODUCT IS FAKE! GO TO A REAL JEWLREY STORE