North Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Went to Walmart Dartmouth, Ma. Only had two handicapped carts one plugged in the other not.

Took the plugged one it said full charge. I proceeded and went not more than 3 aisles and it started to decharge to 3/4. It had no pep and did not want to move. I could not finish my shopping and got stuck with no help available.

A customer ended up pushing me to the register. I had to try to push myself to get from one end of the store to another. I injured my damaged knee trying to push the cart and now can't walk and have to go to the hospital.

These carts are very old and not maintained at all.

I will no longer go to Walmart for my business or personal necessities. There is no customer service there at all

Comments

KevinRichards

Why did you push the cart yourself first rather than asking for help. I get it you are unable to think for yourself and require a baby sitter to shop with you.

Management doesnt care about customers that have temporary disabilities. Most people will never need to use one but if you do GOOD luck WALMART not helpful in that matter.

My walmart is lined with them but good luck with finding one that works.

my food store great charged, working and even getting help with learning who the dam thing works. I hope none of you ever find yourself in a situation where you need one but if you do GOOD LUCK!

The carts are a courtesy, not a requirement. If you need one that badly, get your own.

If your disability is temporary there are many companies that rent them. If its permanent talk to your insurance company to see if they will cover it.

You should never assume that businesses will have a cart for you to use. Try providing for yourself.

@Anonymous

Anonymous, You are right that the carts are a courtesy and not a requirement. But not all people are able to TRANSPORT a "cart" of their own.

You are talking a cost of between $2000-$4000 to be able to take your cart with you to a store. Carts that you use on your own do not have a basket to put your purchases in and trying to operate a "cart" and a shopping cart takes up a lot of space and is physically very difficult. SO hopefully you will never find yourself with a broken leg and no one to shop for you and you are stuck hoping around a huge store on crutches trying to stand in line for 20 minutes to pay for your 20 items!

If stores are going to offer handicapped carts (I only shop at those stores that do offer them), they should keep them repaired and require them to be checked out, so that kids and others aren't playing on them and destroying them.

I always turn them off when I leave them and make sure I plug them in so the next person after me will be able to use it. But then again, unlike you I have compassion and empathy for my fellow handicapped shoppers temporary or otherwise.

realm188
@Quiltdoc

Transporting a cart is possible and I have seen it done, though. Some of those carts do have a basket on them, I've seen one that does.

I've seen a guy that actually can't walk and he always has his own cart and is able to shop around in it every time he shops. You can't always assume that someone doesn't have any compassion. I use to go shopping for my grandfather that was so bad off that he couldn't even opporate those carts and needed 24/7 care until he passed on. Parkinson's Disease can get worse with time.

There's more than one way to go about situations. Many of my friends in the healthcare field offer to help people shop and are caregivers. However, I do agree with you about some things. Not everyone makes sure to plug them in.

Sometimes I see them left outside in parking lots and I will take them in and plug them up even though I don't work for the store. Some people should have compassion, but also some people should just learn how to be thankful for nice gestures.

@Anonymous

The ADA requires handicapped PARKING because handicapped people often can NOT walk the distance from regular parking spots to the store. YET the distance from parking spaces, in superstores, to the inside destination is usually far longer than the distance from parking to the entrance door.

Yes, handicapped carts are a courtesy, BUT also a smart business move.

However, the Handicapped TEASE, (having carts that are broken and never fixed) is NEITHER courteous or conducive to good public relations or business practice.

Yet Walmart seems to see it differently. Walmart now SELLS handicapped carts on line through affiliates.

So it could be Walmart sees HANDICAPPED PRODUCT SALES as another REVENUE STREAM.

While ADA does not "require" handicapped carts for in store use, it SHOULD.

The USA has an aging population, people are living far longer, and more of them live as singles - meaning they must be self reliant. There is no spouse to do the shopping. As we age, mobility issues and illness is more pronounced. The younger active population also has injuries and illnesses.

I've taken cancer patients on chemo to Walmart only to find there was no cart. Multiple neighbors have broken their foot or ankles and expressed the same aggravation about handicapped carts all being broken at Walmart. Yes, customers can buy or rent carts - - but that's just PART of the issue. +Once you have the cart they also NEED a CARRIER to HAUL it to the store.

+Due to weight and distribution often times a larger vehicle is needed to accomodate both cart and carrier - again costly. +The weight of some portable carts is too much for many disabled people to wrestle with. Imagine you have to assemble and disassemble a heavy "portable" cart while standing in the pouring rain in the Walmart parking lot. Or you have a carrier for a regular cart, but that makes the carrier + vehicle too long for the parking space, so once you get the cart OFF the carrier you then have to fold the carrier up again (for the time your in the store.) So NOW your in the store, with YOUR own cart - BUT the basket on regular handicapped carts are TOO SMALL for shopping.

Additionally, +The carrier creates a trip hazards when down and blocks access to the trunk when folded up. +Smaller garages may not accomodate the length of the vehicle and the carrier.

THEN you have to STORE the cart in your home - because you don't NEED it to get around there. It's far easier and smarter to shop at other retailers.

So sorry that the carts they provide, that they don't have to, wouldn't work because other customers wouldn't take care of them. If you need one so bad the doctors would recommend you buy one z

Haha. If you're that bad, shouldn't you have your own cart?

@Anonymous

I agree, and she choose to push the cart herself rather than get help.