Phoenix, Arizona
1.1K views

MY WIFE AND I WALKED TO WALMART TO BUY BACK TO SCHOOL SUPPLIES AND FOOD.GOT THERE AT AROUND 12:40AM.AT 1:45AM WE GOT UP FRONT AT REGISTERS,ONLY SELF CHECKOUTS OPEN.I SAW AN ASSOCIATE AND ASKED WHY NO CASHIERS,SAID THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE DOING NOW.I WILL NOT TAKE A JOB AWAY FROM SOMEONEW BY USING THESE REGISTERS.I SAW MANAGER WALKING OUT SIDE,I LEFT OUR CART WITH WIFE,WENT OUT AND TALKED TO MANAGER,HE SAID THE SAME BASIC THING.I TOLD WIFE LETS GO,SHE WAS WILLING TO USE SELF CHECKOUT.UNTILL I EXPLAINED REASON.MANAGER WAS SITTING ON BENCH WITH OTHER EMPLOYEES.WATCHED US WALK THROUGH PARKING LOT.TOLD WIFE WILL NOTIFY WALMART CORP.HE HEARD ME IM SURE.HE NEVER OFFERED TO GET ME RUNG OUT AT REGISTER.NOT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION FOR SURE. I E-MAILED CORP ALSO.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Manager.

• NO CASHIERS
  • JUST SELF CHECKOUTS

Comments

I actually despise Walmart and usually drive an extra 20 miles round trip to another store but sometimes there is no other choice! Their so called neighborhood stores hardly ever have cashiers and when they don't I just leave the cart wherever ! I have gotten used to just doing without stuff and the good side of this is I have saved some money.I will be glad when they go under or maybe get taken over by another greedy corporate giant.

Please don't type in ALL CAPS.

It is Corporate who makes decisions about self-checkouts, obviously it is done to save on labor costs. Walmart Corporate knows that disgruntled customers will still continue to shop there, so they do not care how much you complain, they will do as they please.

Wal-Mart has cashiers now? Never noticed.

What *** at corporate thinks less customer service equals higher profit margin? My entire family no longer shop at WalMart.

Hot store in summer, minimal choices on the shelves. Now only a very few checkers even during the day (2 checkers 3pm with long lines)...Let's see, 4 families with children now shopping at H.E.B...equals about $5,000 bucks a month...Atta boy WalMart, Get those profit margins up.

The reason you shop at Wal-Mart is the reason they do not have cashiers late at night.

Not having to pay someone keeps expenses down. Keeping expenses down keeps prices down.

You shop at Wal-Mart because they have low prices. Do The math.

Well, with self-checkouts available, they aren't required to ring people out at a normal cash register. The only reason I see them only having self-checkouts open is because it's so late and it saves money for the store.

Sure, they could offer to ring you up at the register, but are you willing to wait for them to set-up a register? Because, chances are likely they have to set up the money drawer, bring it to the register, and set up the register for use. That's probably around ten to fifteen extra minutes of waiting if nothing goes wrong in the process.

I understand you are frustrated. It's out of the norm. Any retail store one goes to, you would expect someone being there to check you out. If this was something during the day, then I believe that would be much more of an issue rather that at midnight.

Elizabeth101

And your point? You're too lazy to check yourself out? Some people need to grow up and deal with life.

@Elizabeth101

Every self check out puts someone out of work. Lazy has nothing to do with it.

Do you get a discount when you use self check out at a store that has cashiers? Some might call that stupid or gullible.

@Elizabeth101

Can you read? Are you too lazy to do so or just can't? He stated he didn't want to use self-checkouts because it takes jobs away from people.