Paris, Tennessee
13.9K views

I was checking out with my toddler and she was not listening and while trying to keep her in check and scan items I guess I mistakenly missed a few. Before even leaving the checkout area (I never left the store) the cashier says a few of my items didn't scan.

I say oh no well which ones and I'll rescan them and pay. She calls a csm and they start going through every bag and then they call a manager and I ask them what's going on and the cashier says I didn't scan some of my items and I say yes I did to which she loudly yells that I didn't because she was watching me. I'm beyond embarrassed. The manager tells me to come with her and I do to a little room showing me scanning my items on camera.

She tells me she knows what I was trying to do and asks if I have a criminal history to which I reply no I dont. She tells me I'm not being prosecuted and no police will be called but that she needs my drivers license and ssn. I comply. She asks if I can pay for the items that didn't scan and I say of course and she let's me pay for them.

Then she tells me loudly enough for everyone in the front of the store to hear that I am to never come into her store and use her self checkout lines again. As if I ever would after this anyways. My point here is I was not trying to steal anything. I never admitted to stealing anything.

I never signed anything. I never even left the store without paying. Why did she take all my information and treat me like a common criminal? Will police be coming to my door at a later date?

I'm so confused and honestly hurt by all this. Advice please.

This happened in Tennessee btw. Ty

Comments

I have a question? Suppose you go buy a whole bunch of groceries through one of the manned or womanned (or other) checkout lanes and the person checking you out accidentally forgets to scan an item?

What if you get outside and notice that even though you bought 20 cans of something that only 19 of them rang up?

Will you be arrested if you don't go back into the store and wait in line at the customer service desk to point out the mistake? Or is it's Wal-Mart's policy that you can consider it to be a gift?

@Private Eyes Are Watching You They See Your Every Move

You should waltz right back into the store, wait in line behind someone buying an entire weeks worth of groceries, and pay for the item that you weren't charged for.

@Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Most people do. Or they return the item and claim that it was not scanned.

Well give it to the greeter. Some don't, but a big company like Walmart is not going to be hurt by 1 50 cent can.

@Private Eyes Are Watching You They See Your Every Move

I think the difference is that it was their mistake not yours. I also get the feeling that this is not the first time that the OP "forgot" to scan things.If it is a one time mistake they should let her pay for the item.

The issue here is not her forgetting to scan the items. It is about her insisting that she did scan all the items when she did not.

They probably thought that that was suspicious. I am not saying this, but often people use kids as an excuse when they "forget" to scan an item.

Wow you're lucky I even asked one of the associates for a little help she did, unhappily of course... Thinking I'm all done walking to the door I was stopped...

Brought to a room locked in until 2 thugs came back in going through my merchandise.. the items the girl helped me add she didn't actually add...

I was held for 3 hours arrested and had to stand in front of a judge .. for $12 worth of *** I hate Walmart

JoyousGar
@Anonymous

People would believe you if you did not go calling grown women girls. Don't do the crime and you will not do the time.

Quit your complaining , shop elsewhere

@dick95

Name is dick95. Name checks out.

bobs2015
#1620509

Ordinarily, I would suggest you go to a manned checkout lane in order to avoid this situation but knowing Walmart and their usual lack of open, manned checkout lanes you can either use the self checkout lanes or just not bother to shop at a store that treats you like dirt, eg., Walmart. There are other stores in town.

DashingMink
@bobs2015

People really need to read the replies that the OP left. She claimed to have a total of seven items unscanned and had admitted to doing this before.

If she is going to use her toddler to try and get out of "forgetting" to scan items she deserves to be treated like dirt. As others stated she should be glad her child is not being taken from her.

They probably have yet to prove that she is only claiming that her daughter is a distraction. She has even admitted to losing her on several occasions.

@DashingMink

Maybe that’s true but there is no excuse to be hateful.

@Anonymous

We should all love one another. We are all part of one big human family.

#1620145

I had the same issue. I had ten items and forgot to ring up nine items.

Before that I had 20 items and forgot to ring up 19.

They said I was doing it on purpose. What jerks.

Peterninetynine99
#1620460
@Zachary2001

I can understand where you are coming from. I too made a similar mistake.

I bought a chocolate bar and some other items expensive electronics, expensive jewelry. Unfortunately only the 78 cent chocolate got scanned. I thought my math was off and that the total was less than estimated.

Well instead of politely telling me that I did not scan all the items they brought along a SWAT team. I had assault rifles and machine guns pointed at me.

FineYoungAiden2005
#1620463
@Peterninetynine99

I also had something like that happen. Only the chocolate bar I forgot to pay for was on Christmas Clearance.

It cost 25 cents.

There must have been 50 guns pointed at me. Would hate to see how they reacted if I stole the regular priced chocolate bar.

That's what they do every time I go through the Self-Checkout at Wal-Mart. They Be Watching me real closely, making sure that I don't try to ring up something without scanning it.

It would be very easy for someone to do, actually, because often I have to wave the item over the scanner multiple times to try to get it to scan, and sometimes I even have to call over forr an employee to type in the price because it just won't scan. I never have even thought of pretending to scan something so that I could steal it, but they be watching me like a hawk every time. It *** me off so much, that I have begun to wait through long lines of people buying whole weeks worth of groceries, just so that I can have a cashier check me out and not have to be insulted by having them watch me like they be thinking that I be a Thieif. The self-checkout machines aren't what they are cracked up to be and seem to always be Beseiged with problems.

I miss shopping at Wal-Mart when had 20 checkout lanes, with 4 registers opened with cashiers working them, and the other 16 registers closed. It was good for a laugh about how stupid that was.

BeautifulSeahorse230
#1619549
@TheCustomerIsAllWallsRight

First of all the customer is not always right, and second unless you were up to something you would not notice yourself being watched.

In your first paragraph you say you "mistakenly" didn't scan some items but then you start saying you scanned everything. If your kids distract you so much from properly using the self service checkout you shouldn't use it.

You need to be held responsible for your mistake. I as another shopper shouldn't be penalized in to form of higher prices to cover the "mistakes" of people like you.

#1619538

Whaaat?

#1620146
@Sayuu25

Basically when confronted about not scanning her items she claimed she did rather than admit she may have forgotten. This is when they got suspicious.

So she either forgot to scan the items or she "forgot" to scan the items if you get my drift. I don't know if she forgot or "forgot" get my drift?