13.3K views

I was checking out with my toddler and she was not listening and while trying to keep her in check and scan items I guess I mistakenly missed a few. Before even leaving the checkout area (I never left the store) the cashier says a few of my items didn't scan.

I say oh no well which ones and I'll rescan them and pay. She calls a csm and they start going through every bag and then they call a manager and I ask them what's going on and the cashier says I didn't scan some of my items and I say yes I did to which she loudly yells that I didn't because she was watching me. I'm beyond embarrassed. The manager tells me to come with her and I do to a little room showing me scanning my items on camera.

She tells me she knows what I was trying to do and asks if I have a criminal history to which I reply no I dont. She tells me I'm not being prosecuted and no police will be called but that she needs my drivers license and ssn. I comply. She asks if I can pay for the items that didn't scan and I say of course and she let's me pay for them.

Then she tells me loudly enough for everyone in the front of the store to hear that I am to never come into her store and use her self checkout lines again. As if I ever would after this anyways. My point here is I was not trying to steal anything. I never admitted to stealing anything.

I never signed anything. I never even left the store without paying. Why did she take all my information and treat me like a common criminal? Will police be coming to my door at a later date?

I'm so confused and honestly hurt by all this. Advice please.

This happened in Tennessee btw. Ty

Comments

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1234152

Omfg...I can't believe you *** on here talking about she should lose her *** kid over being distracted & not noticing a few nickle & dime items didnt beep...like really people you guys need to loose your *** teeth talking *** like that...you dont even know her or what may or may not be going on in her life & at least she is with her child instead of running out like alot of men do. Were the items yours?????????

*** no, & Walmart don't treat their employee's that good for you to make an *** out of yourself & go as far as calling dcfs on an ASSUMPTION. What a bunch of peice of *** sorry excuse for humans you are!!!!!!!

Kr1
to Anonymous Orange, California, United States #1237712

You think because someone called dcfs on her they should have lose their teeth. If you read her update you would see that she had done this several times. Besides she also admitted to losing her child several times.

to Kr1 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1281252

Yes talking about how they should lose their teeth for calling dcfs is kinda harsh isn't it? But saying she should lose her CHILD isn't ?

Over a few nickle & dime items that didn't get properly scanned at SELF CHECK OUT...its not like she stuffed them in her purse!

& as for her updates, if I remember correctly some smart *** thought it was funny to post pretending to be her and changing her story to make her look even more guilty. Some people really should learn to see past their nose & get the facts straight before taking *** to the extreme of trying to have a child taken away & for that I think losing their teeth is actually to nice!!!!

to Anonymous2 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1281253

The solution here is very simple for both the store & customer....don't install or use self check outs!!!!

to Kr1 #1619555

That user probably broke her kids teeth.

to Anonymous #1408205

You sound like just another bitter, miserable woman

to Anonymous #1595628

I agree with you people are leaving nasty comments to her some accusing her basically saying she intended to steal BS all they have anymore is like 2 actual cashiers and 15 self checkout and sorry if there are open checkouts vs waiting in a 45 min line to go through one with a cashier those ppl mean to tell me they would wait forever vs going to a open lane(self checkout) I have kids that distract me it’s reality & if your kid is acting up of course you’re going to go into his self check out that is open versus waiting forever and one that has an actual cashier people are ignorant assuming that she went to a self check out with intentions to steal that is why people who make actual accidents get charged for things that were legitimately accidents because of ignorant people judging and assuming that their intentions were wrong when in fact they were ignorance

to Anonymous #1619558

The only way they would catch her is if she did this before. The fact that she claimed she paid for the items when confronted proves she did it on purpose.

Same things just happens to me today only difference with my situation was they didn't have me watch myself on camera or take down my name. I was also with my toddler which had to be held the whole time I'm scanning because she'll throw a fit otherwise.

As i was leaving the store the employee said i need to check your bags..each individual bag. I was like ok, I didn't steal anything sir if that's what your getting at. Meanwhile there what I think was a male manager sitting in the bench watching. I told him I don't know what's going on but if there's anything in my bags that's didn't scan I will be glad to pay for them.

I said I'm not in trouble am I? He said no. He said cone on over to this register so you don't have to stand in front of everyone where he proceeds to check all my merchandise. There were like 3-4 things not on my receipt..paper towels, detergent etc.

I said OK well I'm sorry it's very hard to shop and check out with my toddler alone I usually come with my husband. I said can I just go ahead an pay for my items, it wasn't done intentionally. He took me over to an open register, stood while I finished checking out the unpaid items and after I paid I was on my way. That's was it.

I was actually very grateful for the way handled it. He treated me like a mother who made an honest mistake instead of a criminal.

Kr1
to Anonymous Orange, California, United States #1237710

People really need to stop using "I was distracted" with my toddler as an excuse. If you cannot shop and keep a track of your kids do not use self checkouts, or have a babysitter.

to Kr1 #1578486

So sick of people like this. Your telling me you never made a mistake at all.

Never did something that you didnt realize. Let me tell you something. Those so call self scanner are a scam its self. They do beep when a item dont ring up as well.

I've seen it happen more then once and I've had it happen as well. Walmart is famous for this. Because they can and will used it against. They can make up to 10 times the amount stolen.

So if they say they suffer because of it. That's a lie. People do stole, there is no debt about that at all. But some people not many to make mistake.

They do have people their that can help if they see some thing didnt scan then they should help and let them no it's called good costumer services. Now I know not many people know what that is when working in retail but still. And another note if you dont leave the stole with the items. They cant call it stolen.

Weather it fought or not.

Not all people are thefts and everyone has made mistake even cashiers do. So stop putting blame on any if you wasnt their..........

to Angel #1619560

The issue is not about her making a mistake. The issue is her lying and claimed she scanned all the items and doing the same before.

Beacon, New York, United States #1216290

This happened exactly the same to my wife with our kid and all only difference is the store had my wife arrested saying she was shop lifting she offered to pay as it was their faulty equipment that failed. The told her no and called police we have plenty of money and my wife has no prior criminal records. I tell you one thing I am thinking Class action lawsuit as this is not how you treat good customer.

unfairhiringprastices
to Anonymous Waltham, Massachusetts, United States #1216698

Try working there and stealing, they treat you a lot worse. They make you walk out of the store in handcuffs the longest way out so all your coworkers know what happened. Happened to my sister and she too has children.

to unfairhiringprastices #1312246

Maybe she shouldn't have stolen.

to Anomymous #1441082

Don't you understand that she did not intentionally steal anything! She was a little distracted by her child and simply missed a few items!

Honest to God all you people are jumping all over her like she is a thief when she did nothing more than forget a few items!

I did this myself the other day and had no kids with me, wasn't on the phone or anything! I simply forgot to scan a few things.

to Anomymous #1619563

Anonymous Gak The issue is this is not the first time she "forgot" to scan items. The issue is when told she did not scan the items she lied and said she did.

to Anonymous #1619561

One that shoplifts is not a customer.

Well, I have a similar story, which happened this evening. I shop frequently at this Walmart and when I use the self check I make sure it "beeps" and scans.

As I was walking out I was stopped and surrounded by five people saying I need to come with them now! I asked what was going on and they said that I "purposely" did not scan items. I complied because I knew I did scan them. However, they took me to this room and immediately started taking my groceries out of the bags and putting them on the floor.

Meanwhile, I try and ask what is going on and no one would answer.

they then proceed to call the cops and even after I said that if i missed something I would be more than happy to pay for it, you know cause I didn't mean to miss something. Well now I have a court date and this possibly has ruined my career in nursing.

to Anonymous #1117502

I ask how many times have you "accidentally" missed scanning something. You people think you are clever, but I work for LP at another company, and people like you do this often.

This is not the first time you "accidentally" forgot to scan an item. First you try it with one item that is cheap, you get away with it and you are bold. Most are not caught on the first offence and are being watched, so tell them another one.

Your career would not have been ruined if you had not "forgotten" to scan items. I am sure you didn't mean to miss something the other six times you did this, and I am sure that each time you "missed" more items and items that cost more as well.