174 Cypress Point Pkwy, Palm Coast, FL 32164, USA
2.6
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

I had the same experience in a fl. Walmart my dog is 12lbs all shots the manager said the dogs are welcome but have to be carried or walked I am disabled and have a time doing both he said that they cannot be in cart because they sell food what about the carts that come from outside with blackbirds crows and al others squirrels and other polluents I bring my own clean blanket these carts have so much baterica especially bird flu than a pet that has shots and taken care of there policy makes no common sense at all and I say they are breaking federal law

Reason of review: Other issue.

Walmart Cons: Poor management.

Comments

You are the one breaking the law by passing your ESA off as a real Service Dog.

A lot of people posting here have not read the ADA rules, or case law, and are posting the wrong answer.

A Service Animal CAN ride in a cart under certain circumstances.

The Department of Justice Rules does NOT say a Service Animal cannot ride in a cart. They say "Generally" they cannot.

The corrupt answer is it depends on the disability, and the circumstances.

For example a Disabled Veteran using a walker cannot also hold a dog's lease, and therefore to shop may have to lean on a shopping cart to walk, and place his Service Animal in the cart.

The store is REQUIRED to make reasonable accommodations so the store might require a rubber dog mat. In such a case it is far cleaner to have a Service Dog in the cart than a welfare kid in a messy diaper, or putting raw chicken in your cart, even if it is in a package. And yes Service animals can perform the same, exact disability assistance from a cart they perform from the floor in most cases. With many Disabled Combat Veterans coming bad with limbs missing a Shopping Cart is the only way to shop with a service animal since they are not allowed on the floor without a lease.

America's Disabled Veterans need to shop and buy food just like the rest of us, although Walmart is EXTREMELY hostile, and hateful, to Disabled Veterans with Service Animals. Anther solution would be for Walmart to have three or four shopping carts marked solely for Veterans or disabled needing their Service Animal in a shopping cart. Keep in mind Walmart Carts are used for EVERYTHING in their store, including poisons, animal waste for gardens, toxic chemicals, and everything Walmart sells, so this claim that Service Dogs somehow make their carts "dirty" for food is beyond crazy. I grow tomatoes and put leaking bags of cow *** in Walmart Carts in their garden section.

I put auto batteries, poisons for the yard, etc. I use a rubber mat for my Service Animal because my dog is FAR CLEANER than Walmart's Carts are.

@Billy Kidwell

THANK YOU! YOU had taken the time to put it correctly for people to read.

I HAVE Brittle bone disease in my right ankle. I am hearing impaired, suffer from severe chronic pain have sciatica as well as a bad back with a pinched nerve on my left side in the neck area and have a small Service Animal which IS REFUSED TO BE IN A BUGGY. She alerts me to sounds as well as is there when I am in pain she positions herself to help me take my mind off the pain until it is time for me to take my medication. I use a CLEAN THICK BLANKET WHICH IS WASHED EVERY TIME IT IS USED.

She WEARS A SERVICE ANIMAL HARNESS. I have to use a pet stroller BECAUSE WHEN SHE WAS ON THE FLOOR IN WALMART SHE WAS KICKED, STEPPED ON AND HIT BY AN ELECTRIC CART BEING USED BY SOMEONE TO LAZY TO WALK ON THEIR OWN. I do NOT understand why Walmart is so hostile against people who have disabilities.

The door greeter threaten to call the police on me all because I was putting my service animal in the shopping cart. I’M UPSET OVER THIS.

A couple of thoughts ...

(1) Walmart is not breaking federal law by asking you to remove your dog from their shopping cart, or by requiring you either carry the dog or walk the dog on a leash. In fact, they are following the laws and are completely within their rights.

The US Department of Justice oversees the federal law that grants access to disabled persons with Service Dogs.

The law that covers them is the Americans with Disabilities Act, or ADA. In 2015, the Department of Justice released an extensive FAQ to help people better understand the law and keep them from interpreting it incorrectly. Among these was specifically the question whether Service Dogs must be permitted in store carts and the very clear answer from the Department of Justice was NO, they must be carried or on the floor.

(2) You have no business lecturing Walmart about "breaking federal law" when you don't know what the laws actually. As a (supposed) Service Dog user, you should know the laws, both federal and state, that protect your public access and prevent you from being discriminated against.

You clearly do not.

(3) I do not believe that your little dog is actually a Service Dog, partly because you don't know the laws that apply to you, and partly because you refer to it as a pet in your post. Having a disability does not magically turn your animal into a Service Dog. Service Dogs have extensive training to do specific tasks - those are things that happen on command or cue - that mitigate your disability.

The Department of Justice is very clear that providing comfort and emotional support are not tasks.

Only actual Service Dogs, trained to do tasks for a disabled handler, are permitted inside stores. (And they're still not permitted in shopping carts or on store furniture.)

ransom

I thought that dogs for blind people made a lot of sense but the whole ridiculous 'service dog' thing is completely out of control now.

Isn't it amazing how many people "claim" to be service dog handlers, yet they've never even read the Department of Justice regulations or their Q&A page. How can you call yourself a service dog handler when you don't even know the rules?

Q31. Are stores required to allow service animals to be placed in a shopping cart?

A.

Generally, the dog must stay on the floor, or the person must carry the dog. For example, if a person with diabetes has a glucose alert dog, he may carry the dog in a chest pack so it can be close to his face to allow the dog to smell his breath to alert him of a change in glucose levels. - U.

S. Department of Justice

The manager is correct. Your dog cannot ride in the cart.

A service dog should be leashed and able to walk on its own during public access. You need to freshen up on your own techniques and education about what a service dog can and cannot do.

If you are that concerned about your dog getting bird flu, then it shouldn't be using a service dog. A service dog in a cart cannot perform necessary tasks to be a service dog.

@Anonymous

Your assumption is very incorrect. I suffer from seizures due to Lupus SLE.My service animal weighs 7 lbs.

and does her job by detecting chemical changes ie: my breath. She signals to me by putting a paw on my chest or touching my arms or face with her nose or face. These things cannot be done from the floor.

If I have to carry her in the store then I can't shop without her basically coming into contact with everything. Not all service animals are big but do a very important job just the same.

I'm confused. For a true service dog, if it were carried or placed in a cart, does that not defeat the point of the service dog in the first place?

what the problem is that the manager can decide what is right and. Stick to it, whatever the laws or. Rules are.

@Anonymous

The manager is right!! Q31 of the ADA: Q31.

Are stores required to allow service animals to be placed in a shopping cart?

A. Generally, the dog must stay on the floor, or the person must carry the dog.

For example, if a person with diabetes has a glucose alert dog, he may carry the dog in a chest pack so it can be close to his face to allow the dog to smell his breath to alert him of a change in glucose levels. https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Exactly what federal law is Walmart breaking?

Please state which law that it is.

@Anonymous

Read the ADA rules. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/locksoflove.asp Q31.

Are stores required to allow service animals to be placed in a shopping cart?

A.

realm188

They are breaking federal law? What about the customers that are deathly allergic to stuff?

Just they should just forget all about them and let them die huh. If you can't carry your dog, not sure how they would even get in the cart.

Just look it up and saw that a lot of places don't allow dogs in shopping carts. Also seen some posts where customers were complaining about seeing dogs in other people shopping carts.

Sorry, I know it doesn't make any sense. But no they are not breaking a federal law.

@Anonymous

I would think that when customers complain to their Corporate Headquarters, every store manager is told not the allow any type of animal in their carts.

@Anonymous

Service Dog access is covered in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which is overseen by the Department of Justice (DOJ). In the most recent update to the ADA Frequently Asked Questions, the Department of Justice said that Service Dogs DO NOT RIDE IN CARTS.

They must be on the ground or carried.

Walmart was 100% correct and following the law when they asked this person to remove their dog from the cart, provided it's actually a Service Dog. If it's a pet, it's not even allowed inside the store since stores that prepare or sell open foods cannot allow non-Service Dogs inside due to local and federal health codes.