We visited the Wal-Mart Supercenter at this location on May 21, 2009 for the purpose of buying some groceries, sunscreen and whatever we found of interest after shopping at the Outlet mall in the area. When our purchases were being scanned by the cashier, he noted that we needed to show ID for our two cases of beer being purchased. I then proceeded to show him my Ontario Driver's License, politely pointing out to him my birthdate as indicated on the front of the license (which also has my picture thereon). He immediately then asked for my passport as, "since I was not a U.S. citizen, that is the only acceptable proof of ID". When I pointed out that I did not have a passport, he then asked me for a "resident card" which I explained is not something that we have in Canada. I then offered to show him any other credit card, etc. with my name on it but he stated that it was the store policy that they needed a passport from ANY NON-U.S. CITIZEN. I told him that I did not even need a passport to enter the U.S. but he still insisted that it was store policy and that unless I had a passport, I could not buy any beer.I would like to point out, which I also did to this clerk, that I am 45 years old, and, as much as I would like to look like I am in my 20's, I do not, in any way appear so. I even mentioned to him that I had a daughter who was in her 20's! My husband, who is also 45 also offered to show his Driver's License but the clerk would not even look at it""no passport, no beer. Period.

I then asked to speak to the manager and the clerk stated that he would page her but that, "she's gonna tell you the same thing anyway". Well, she showed up and, after being "pre-warned" by this clerk who left his till to fill her in on the details, she immediately said that it was store policy and that without a passport, we could not buy any alcohol. She would not even discuss it any further, even though we had told her that we just bought alcohol in every other surrounding town nearby (and even in this town), and if asked for ID, our Driver's License was always sufficient""even at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Newport, TN which was closer to our campground. She reiterated that it was store policy; then, the clerk piped up and said, "see, I told "˜ya" which really made us angry. When I stated that I would be writing a letter regarding this experience they both just shouted, "Fine!" and "Have a nice day". After a few choice words (and not having a nice day at that point), we left our groceries and goods still in the bags and left the store, having made sure to cancel my previous swiped credit card (which, has no problem being accepted, even in the U.S., and sometimes, even without ID).

When exiting, my husband specifically pointed out the sign above the cash registers stating, "Alcohol purchases require ID". I guess that what it should have said is that, unless you are a U.S. Citizen, you can kiss your booze goodbye!

Had an Experience with Walmart?

Comments

I was trying to buy beer and was not allowed to use my U.S. passport in Oklahoma to prove my age and purchase alcohol. The checker said it was store policy, but that is the only time I've had to do so, and no one else has ever even commented on the issue.

I AGREE WITH STACY, I WORK FOR WALMART AND YOUR DRIVER'S LIC.SHOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH...

ALTHOUGH NOT OF THIS COUNTRY, NO PASSPORT DOES NOT EXCLUDE YOU FROM ALCOHOL PURCASE OR RUDE BEHAVIOR WHEN THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL STORE MANAGEMENT OR HIGHER.

THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN MUCH BETTER SERVICE THAN THEY DID THE CUSTOMER MUST WIN THOSE EMPLOYEES IN TN.MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT YOUR PURCHASES PAY FOR THEIR ABILITY TO KEEP THEIR JOB!

When coming to American it is a good thing to learn the laws you will be subjected to.Stop complaining and crying it is the US/State law that requires them to ID you for Beer.

They can't accept your Ontario Driver’s License because it isn't a legal US document. In this case a passport would be a legal document they needed. They can't then take someone else drivers license because they know the beer is your beer. It boils down to them being legally liable and to abide by US laws.

They are the ones that will have to pay the over $1000 fine and face time in jail. Why?

Because you can't be bothered to follow the law.:cry :cry

I wouldn't live anywhere if there wasn't a walmart mart store within 5 or 10 miles. I love walmart except i just moved to silver springs fl. their walmart is absolutely the worst east of the Mississippi.I drove to ocala walmart and have spent over 1000.00 in the last 10 days but the silver springs store people are rude lazy and they suck also the store manager sucks big time.92 degrees and hardly any fans to choose from,no carts for the lame and old the help stays hidden pretty well i'd say its poor management ,tv department ignorant and rude help

#71956

*** crazy

hmmmmmmm rules.Do they have them in Kanukland?

Lay off the booke and dry yer liver out.Your body will thank you for it.

WalMart does not train anybody at their stores very well and also does not pay them well.A manager at McDonalds is paid more the a manager at a Walmart store.

That is their pat answer if they don't know the answer to any question!

Even a simple one."That's company policy".

Thats so crazy they wouldnt let you buy alcohol without a passport! I work as a cashier there and the types of id that are acceptable are drivers license (from anywhere), passport, military card, etc. Its pretty much anything that has your picture and birthdate.