I purchased a an opal ring marked 10k from Wal-Mart about 5 years ago. I am embarrassed to say that this has been my favorite ring and I have received numerous compliments over the unique color of the opal which is my birthstone.

So I needed a loan today and took it to a pawn shop only to have them tell me that when they tested it it was not gold at all just gold plated. Needless to say after 5 years I no longer have the receipt.

This was purchased at WalMart in Woodland Hills, CA. Buyer beware never buy gold from that place.

Comments

Findlay, Ohio, United States #821642

5 years old gold plated wouldn't have been gold anymore. It would have rubbed off a long time ago. Not to mention turning your finger green.

to Anonymous Fort Worth, Texas, United States #821654

I know you would think so, right? Which is why I never doubted it was real.

However, my finger nor the ring ever turned colors until it was tested today. The top layer completely came off and it looks like brass now. A magnet won't even pick it up so i'm not even sure what is it really made of but it's not gold. I filed a complaint with the BBB and now I shall be over it since I no longer have the box nor the receipt.

You live and you learn. In the future when I buy gold I know now to have it tested right away.

This will not happen to me again. I have also learned I am not the only one to have this experience with WalMart jewelry.