I got a Walmart Card around Christmas 2013 and charged it up to about $360 out of $400. My payments were only $25 per month.

In February of 2014 I paid the rest of the balance in full. In April of 2014 the company I worked for sold and I was let go. I did not get food stamps or any other assistance with 2 children so I used my card for groceries and gas once. I made one payment on in May then I missed 2 payments but I did speak to a representative and let them know i had lost my job and explained that i understand the late payement fees.

I made a payment last week 8/4 of $124.00 to make my account current. I could not make smaller payments before and get caught up because they REFUSED any payment smaller than what was due. After I became current they closed my card and I wasn't even close nor did I ever go over my limit.

I was only trying to stay off public assistance until I got back on my feet. Thanks for fu*king up my credit score harder over a couple hundred dollars.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Account.

Comments

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when my husband was laid off. It took a long time for me to get my credit score back up.

I was upset for a long time, but I never blamed the creditors since I realized ultimately that it was my own fault, not theirs. I did learn a valuable lesson, however, and now instead of paying for credit cards I just put a little up each month (however much I can afford) so we always have something to fall back on in hard times.

It would be nice if retailers and creditors could cut slack for rocky roads, but credit is a business and they have to make money and unfortunately they do make most of their money from late fees. Always think twice before signing a contract.