15.9K views

November 16, 2015

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. The winter temps here are no worse than Minneapolis.

I purchased a Walmart Everstart Maxx (5 year) 78N battery in February of 2014. Since it is now November 2015, I've had this battery for 1 year and 9 months. Yesterday morning, the battery failed. So I went to the Walmart on Debarr, here in Anchorage, to buy a new one. When I got home I pulled the old battery and put in the new one and my vehicle started up right away with no problem.

Printed on the side of the old battery in large print, it says “3 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT PLUS 2 YEAR PRO RATA”. Seems pretty straight forward, right? Unfortunately, Walmart would not give me a refund on the old battery.

I would point out, that since I did not have my receipt for the old battery, the “Walmart customer service” did run the serial number of the old battery through either their website or that of the battery manufacturer. On the printout the Walmart employee gave me it states:

“Eligible for Exchange refund: No

Reason: Consumer return period has expired”

I was given no other explanation of what to do other than call the toll free number on the battery.

Furthermore, on the signage above the battery display at the Walmart, it reads the same language as is printed on the side of the battery, “3 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT PLUS 2 YEAR PRO RATA”.

As well, on the receipt I was given for the new battery it states:

“AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY DATE VERIFICATION”

“AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY RETURN REQUIREMANTS”

“RECEIPT IS NECESSARY TO VALIDATE DATE

OF PURCHASE. FOR WARRANTY ADJUSTMENTS.

ADJUSTMENTS WITH OUT RECEIPT WILL BE

MADE USING THE MANUFACTURE DATE OF BATTERY”.

Since I didn't have the receipt for the old battery, it clearly states that one is not needed in order to have a “warranty adjustment”. So when I took the old battery back to the store, “Walmart customer service” ran the serial number through their database to verify the sold date of the old battery. After running the serial number through their database, they in fact did verify that the old battery was well within the “warranty adjustment” period for a “3 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT” as stated above.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Website.

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

I didn't like: Customer service warranty.

Comments

I went to 2 Walmart today. The first Walmart said I couldn't get an exchange or pro rata even though I bought the battery in 9/2015.

The second Walmart I went to had a TLE so I went to that department directly. The TLE had 2 managers on duty, shift change I believe. I was able to get the pro rate discounted price for the new battery. They simply looked up the warranty via the serial number and applied the discount.

I got a $97 battery for $57 which came with a new 3 year warranty and 2 year pro rate. All of this without a receipt.

8 month old Everstart 5 year 550CCA Battery returned to Walmart, Arab, Alabama with all receipts for slow cranking in 20 degree weather and measuring 490CCA on my analyzer, I am a Ph.D. degreed Electrical Engineer.

Walmart ran test, it measured 515CCA on the Johnson Controls Battery Manufacturer provided tester, Walmart Employee said good batttery, manager refused refund. Wrote CEO so far.

to Frank K #1652923

WALMART Provided full refund a couple weeks after CEO letter.

Just spent over an hour in walmarts automotive department near recency square in jacksonville fl trying to get a replacement battery for one that would not hold a charge. I have never seen such a circle jerk in my life the place was running amuck NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I finally requested my old battery back stoped by an automotive store on the way home they tested it was bad, purchase a new one and out the door.

Cheap prices and a warranty fiasco thats not worth the trouble or the time. Shame on me once but never again !

I have 4 months on a WalMart Maxx 5 year battery. They say if I install it myself there is no warranty.

Complete BS. I won't buy another WM Battery.

to DR. Robert Whiting #1650435

I buy my own and install all the time . Been doing it for 13 yrs now .

Noone ever said I didnt have warrenty becuse I installed them. Thay bull *** you

A few minutes ago. I was just about to go to Walmart to buy a battery (same as article).

but now it's making me think a lot about the warranty. Thank you very much

I had the same experience with three stores. All of them said only 90 days!

for three years warranty, call the manufacturer!

I hate Walmart! liars.

#1562059

I’ve never had any issue with Walmart returns, apparently you go in with a bad attitude thinking they owe u something.

to Mike #1628147

They owe me the warranty i paid for You must work there or something

to Mike #1653720

I stopped shopping in Wal-Mart over 10 years ago when lose prevention had me taken to jail for nothing on my person, never walked out the front door and getting stopped by two eager beavers trying to harass me. They had me come into thier office and searched me not one thing on me but because I had attitude they had the cops come and dont know what they said but they took me to jaifor retail fraud.

I bailed out lost alot and mentally dealt with court for a while and plead quilty to disorderly conduct never anthing elese but they never admitted fault so they lost me as a costumer.

I have spent 10 years losing them business so all and all I'm a peon to them and they don't care about me or about you they care about your almighty dollar. Nothing more or less.

The information states exchange, not a refund.

Walmart sucks

Or just goto TLE(Auto Department) and talk to the people who work with batteries and know what’s going on. The front customer service doesn’t know anything about Automotive.

You need the top sticker with the serial Number and the little colored circle date sticker. The serial number will give Date of Purchase.

And the register will pro rate or give the free exchange accordingly. Usually all that’s needed after that is a CSM to per override the free exchange and you’re done.

to Easy Fix #1537853

That’s all without a receipt mind you.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE I JUST HAD TODAY AT MY EAST WINDSOR CT 06016 STORE. WALMART COMPLETELY UNHELPFUL. WARRANTY IS A TOTAL FRAUD

I was just at a Walmart in Coon Rapids Minnesota and they tried to pull the we don't exchange those in store anymore on me. If you go back to the battery rack there is a booklet that has all the warranty information that states you do not need a receipt for a replacement if it is in the 3-year warranty.

That would be if you haven't EverStart Maxx with the 3 year 2 year warranty. All you do is ask for the general manager showing the booklet and they have to exchange your battery as long as it is dead and will not hold a charge.

I had the same experience in Springfield, TN WALMART. I bought a EVERSTART Maxx battery with a 3 year full replacement warraty and 2 year pro-rated.

Bought the battery 5/16/2017, went dead on me around 10/4/17. Went back to WALMART on 10/05/17, to return the bad battery (wouldn't hold a charge and dead) for a replacement and they said they couldn't do it, because it was after their 90 day period for to bring in defective or return policy. They even tested the battery and said it was bad.

They said I have to get hold of EVERSTART and deal with them on the warranty issue for my battery. So be careful on any product that has a warranty on them, WALMART wouldn't honor it, if brought in after 90 days.

Exact same thing happened to me except it's for my truck which has two batteries, they looked it up and it said they were not eligible for refund. Said the only time they see this is when they have already been returned.

I did not return them I had interstate batteries which came with the truck, I took those back later for the core charge.

This was in Nov 2015 13 months ago. If that had been true what difference would it make anyway I have only had these two batteries for a year

Best advice is to place a rubber mat under your battery. It will last for about 10 years +.

No hassle.