Here's a fun one.Last Thursday, I was thinking about buying a portable gasoline-powered generator that was listed online at Walmart.com as a clearance item for $499.

I'd been looking at it for a few weeks because I didn't have a real need, just out of prudence and a bit of paranoia because I live in earthquake country. Then, on Friday the news of Japan's terrible earthquakes and tsunamis reached the US. Having decided I would make the purchase I went to Walmart.com, and lo and behold, the price had changed to $599. Helpfully, the listing assured me that I was saving $99.

Got to hand it to them for their quick reaction. Some people might call this good business, however, in a real emergency situation you can be prosecuted for doing that in some places.

Count on Walmart to be a good citizen.I did not purchase, by the way.

Had an Experience with Walmart?

Comments

RE: Simon

You Rock

Unless this walmart happened to be in Japan, I don't really think they can be prosecuted for jacking prices up during an emergency situation, there being no emergency and all.

I was looking at gas for my vehicle and it was $3.39 a gallon.Now, when I really need to get to work, it's over $4.

Got to hand it to that gas station for really screwing me when I needed them.

That's what you sound like.

Stores raise prices all the time.This is nothing new.