8.2K views

Got a call that I could pick up my prescription after 1 pm. I got there at 1:29 pm and the pharmacy was closed for lunch. No notification in my phone call however. If, as I was told, the pharmacist must have a 30 minute lunch, why isn't there a pharmacist hired to cover lunch time. Not only is this inconvenient but it is not the way a business should be run that has customers to support it. If this practice was used at the cashier counters, no one could check out what they bought - profits would plummet.

I also do not understand why everyone has to eat lunch at the same time. My prescription was ready for pick up and did not need a pharmacist to give it to me. Why do all of the clerks have to eat when the pharmacist eats? Why can't someone cover the front desk to take prescriptions and get paid for the ones already filled by the pharmacist?

I have cancelled my prescription with Walmart and will not get any others filled there. If we all boycotted this practice, then maybe they would hire a pharmacist to cover for lunch. Do they close for 15 minute breaks, too?

Ridiculous policy. Grocery stores, drug stores, Target, etc. do not do this. Shame on you Walmart. You have gotten a little too big for your britches.

Review about: Walmart Prescription Refill.

Had an Experience with Walmart?

Comments

Sometimes we the "customer" are on our lunch break and may work night shift too so can't come back until after the pharmacy is closed. It's a Wal-Mart too I think they can hire enough pharmacists to alternate lunch breaks without closing the entire pharmacy. I'm all for the employee getting breaks or a break I'm a working single mom with two jobs and sometimes I can only get there at specific times and if at that time I only have 30 minute break I clearly cannot wait until the pharmacist takes theres.

A pharmacist HAS to be on the clock and on the floor if a single patient/customer is being helped.If the patient has any questions or concerns or issues, they have to be there.

If there is only one pharmacist on duty (as is usually the case) then that pharmacist legally HAS to be off the clock for at least 30 minutes when they generally work 12 hour shifts.

It is the law.

May be 'inconvenient' for the public....but the world does not revolve around what is convenient.

When given the choice, I would think and hope a person would choose that the law is followed and that the individual who is in charge of your safe medication dispensing is taken care of, if even minimally.

The pharmacists at retail locations stand all day, help counsel patients on things from blood thinners to could medicine, speak to nurses and docs on the phone regularly on the patients' behalf, look at every patients' allergies and other meds they are taking to notice any interactions that can = death or something, oversight of the rest of the staff behind the counter...etc etc......

So, really???? A 30 minute lunch break is so much to ask?!?

Doctor's offices usually have multiple nurses and doctors on staff so that is not a comparable situation.And nurses and aids are licensed to perform their duties without a doctor on site.

It is so ridiculous to me that people only see things from their own perspective.

The pharmacy should operate just as the physicians offices.

They should CLOSE for lunch EVERY day without apology. If you need your prescription, then you come when it is open. The problem is that the retail chains have given patients the idea that the Pharmacy is a fast food chain, your way, your day whenever you come. When you are in a physicians office, you wait!

The same should be the case for Pharmacists. You are putting medicine in your body and there is RISK associated with rushing. You forget to get your prescriptions refilled and think that it is the PHARMACY that is responsible for calling the physician's office. Well it's NOT, that's a courtesy offered to assist.

Furthermore, most time the pharmacist at most retail pharmacies are forced to come to open the pharmacies, regardless to whether they have sick kids, are sick themselves AND do not get a chance to step away for at LEAST 30 mins to eat and catch a breather!

THAT's what is ridiculous!!!If you want to complain, why not consider complaining about that to the retail giants that have created a monopoly and devalued the entire pharmacy profession.

#1352087

Its the law, they have to close the pharmacy if no pharmasist is behind the counter. Some pharmacies dont close for lunch because they make the pharmasist work the whole time without a break.

While I find that closing the whole pharmacy so everyone gets lunch at the same time it's a bad idea, hiring a pharmacist just for lunch hour is ridiculous.Just this week I had a prescription at CVS, and the pharmacist had to make a change on the papers but he/she wasn't there because he/she was at lunch.

I just came back later.

Now, for transactions that don't require the pharmacist they should always have somone there during business hours.There's no need for everyone to eat at the same time.

Oh shut up its only a 30 min lunch break. There's only 1 pharmacist on duty. Get it before or after break

Leon, Iowa, United States #1330084

I agree. They should have someone cover the lunch shift. This is an inconvenience for customers, who are most generally in a hurry.

to Anonymous #1331355

What a ridiculous comment...as if any pharmacist would be willing to come work for just 30 minutes everyday!!!! Find out what time the pharmacist goes to lunch and plan accordingly! It's not rocket science!

to Anonymous #1332294

He meant take lunches at different times, genius.

to Anonymous New York, New York, United States #1334096

They only have 1 pharmacist on duty at a time, GENIUS!!!!