15.9K views

Got a call that I could pick up my prescription after 1 pm. I got there at 1:29 pm and the pharmacy was closed for lunch. No notification in my phone call however. If, as I was told, the pharmacist must have a 30 minute lunch, why isn't there a pharmacist hired to cover lunch time. Not only is this inconvenient but it is not the way a business should be run that has customers to support it. If this practice was used at the cashier counters, no one could check out what they bought - profits would plummet.

I also do not understand why everyone has to eat lunch at the same time. My prescription was ready for pick up and did not need a pharmacist to give it to me. Why do all of the clerks have to eat when the pharmacist eats? Why can't someone cover the front desk to take prescriptions and get paid for the ones already filled by the pharmacist?

I have cancelled my prescription with Walmart and will not get any others filled there. If we all boycotted this practice, then maybe they would hire a pharmacist to cover for lunch. Do they close for 15 minute breaks, too?

Ridiculous policy. Grocery stores, drug stores, Target, etc. do not do this. Shame on you Walmart. You have gotten a little too big for your britches.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Prescription Refill.

Comments

I dont like how they have everything lock up. To find a person with a key.

It takes 10 min then they put you in a long line. I am no longer shopping there

i read a majority of these comments and all i can say is "WHAT?!?!?" what kind of over privileged people do you think you are??? if you don't like walmart then go somewhere else, i personally have used my local walmart pharmacy for decades and i can say several things...

some of the nicest pharmacists i have dealt with, not saying at a more locally owned place you might not get more personal service but i have never had issues with them (just insurance issues at times) pretty positive that it is THE LAW that a pharmacist MUST be present on the floor when anything from behind the counter is dispensed/given to a customer and on the weekends at my local walmart they take lunch from 1:30-2:00... someone stated it isn't posted, would you like to see the sign they have here that states specifically that the pharmacy is closed during that time WHEN THERE IS ONLY ONE PHARMACIST ON DUTY??? (not saying it isn't where you are, but it is here) saying they should have more than one, someone to cover lunch, etc. is asinine...

what if they have two scheduled and one gets sick(ironic)?? or they have a sick child or an emergency in the family??? if that happens thru the week i would assume that they carry on as if it were like the weekend when they normally only schedule one pharmacist (and why only one on weekends?? cause most of the doctors offices that would prescribe something are CLOSED) i would hate to have a pharmacist not paying attention and give me a 100mg tab of something when i only need a 10mg...

these people are working and deserve a break just as much as the ones that are saying "i come during MY lunch break and they are closed and it is so inconvenient"....

well if they were coming where you work, would they have the right to think it is inconvenient for them if YOU were on break at that time?? (of course if you are in a job capacity where you serve the public) give them a break (literally) and stop being so self righteous

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the pharmacists at Walmart thank you for going elsewhere. Good grief!

Unless they were out for lunch for hours, then you are just being an a55hole.

Everyone deserves a lunch break. Self-important, entitled jerk.

#1631909

I am sorry that happened to you. They should post that pharmacy will be closed at this time ( whatever time that may be).

It's unrealistic to hire a pharmacist to cover a 30 minute lunch break. What pharmacist would work for 30 mintes?

They all deserve a lunch break. It doesn't hurt you to wait 30 minutes. Go shop or have lunch yourself.

to Faye lee #1624024

Not everyone has 30 minutes! It’s a huge inconvenience and I don’t know of any other pharmacy that does this.

*** like this is why I left the pharmacy world. I grew up in a small town where the pharmacist knew everyone, and people tended to be understanding. I was very naive to think that's how the world works in bigger cities.

As a pharmacy tech i would like to punch you in the face :)Techs ARE NOT to be left alone in the pharmacy WITHOUT a pharmacist. So when the pharmacist goes to lunch, we have to as well.Complaining that a pharmacist should be hired to cover the 30 minute lunch break is the dumbest thing i have EVER heard.

If you were a pharmacist im sure you would refuse to be hired to go a pharmacy and work for 30 minutes and then leave. How would a pharmacist support themselves working 30 mins a day ALSO. 15 minute breaks are not mandatory so the pharmacist does not take them. Only the techs take the 15 minute breaks.

You customers are the most selfish people i have ever met. It is 30 freaking minutes.
to Jane.15 #1571093

She prolly needed her controlled meds

to Jane.15 #1645034

That's right ..everybody needs a break if it is only 30 min..just to recharge them self or grab a bite to eat...

Have to sit here 45 minutes to get test strips fromLocked cabinet

Everyone has to eat and take a break. Can you imagine the *** people these employees have to deal with on a daily basis?

However, on a happier note I also understand what you are talking about too. They should always mention that they will be at lunch if they tell someone to pick their prescriptions up after their lunch hour if they haven’t already taken lunch. I also do not understand why someone cannot just simply fill in for a half hour. Probably to *** the customers off?

Possible payback? Just a guess... Smile! At least they had your prescription filled.

What if they told you it was out of stock after they had already scribbled a bunch of stuff on your actual prescription paper and you decided to get it filled elsewhere? It is what it is...

I’m just happy that I am alive and it’s sunny and pretty out. Have a Happy Day

Actually Walgreens does the same thing... I’m sure your 25 dollars doesn’t mean anything to a conglomerate like Walmart.

to Arielle #1624026

They should have someone to cover. No other pharmacy does this.

She wasn’t saying they shouldn’t get a break!

Where is the customer service? This is highly inconvenient.

They legally can not give out a prescription if the pharmacist is on lunch it is federal law and besides would you idiots want to be bothered on your lunch break, probably not so just get over it and move on.

Experienced the same thing 06/02/2018 115pm to 215 pm, so stupid!!! And when the clerks are there, they are unhappy and rude.

Talk about a "First World Problem!" Sheesh! Get over it!

to EmoMomther #1648552

Idiot

I don’t go to Walmart for my prescription but the pharmacy in the supermarket where I shop does close for a lunch period. There are signs posted stating the time they do close so anyone who goes there knows well in advance of the hours.

I know this is old but let me explain since I am a former Walmart pharmacy Technician...First, pharmacists do not fill prescriptions only pharmacy technicians do. However, according to state laws pharmacy technicians can not be left alone in the pharmacy under any circumstances.

Saturday and Sunday are typically the only two days which the pharmacy closes for lunch.This is due to the pharmacy being generally pretty slow on these days and not scheduling more than one pharmacist.Unfortunately Walmart Pharmacy is always short staffed and does not care to hire enough employees to work the job functions. Glad I left when I had the opportunity.