Walmart's store greeters now hold you hostage at the front door while they check your prices before you are allowed to do a return. No matter if you have prices affixed and a sales slip. No matter if the price their machine comes up does not match what you paid.

I have contacted managers and the Home Office and am told this is to "save us time" but it doesn't. If you are doing a money gram, however, or if you choose to ignore the store greeter you are granted front-of-the-line-access because Customer Service helps you anyway. Instead of making one *** line to at least keep you in the order in which you entered the store, they have created customer conflicts with each other. Those who are stopped are forced to have all items re-ticketed with a new yellow tag. Then you have to wait while the customer service representative peels it off and finally processes your return.

This new policy does not work. They should simply have a person check prices as you stand in line if they feel this will help. That way the money gram people must wait like everyone else. Wal-Mart does not care.

I no longer buy anything that may require a return. Interestingly, I have checked a couple Wal-Marts in more affluent areas and they aren't doing this though Wal-Mart says it is a company-wide policy. Speak up people!1

Comments

Stores that have had to use this policy are stores that have been burned frequently. Also, the stores can't stop customers from cutting in line. To me, it seems it's the other customers to be angry with.

Reading, England, United Kingdom #293490

It has been identified as part of the collective Walmart return policy to ticket items as they enter the store for return purposes, though it is not posted or enforced in most of the stores. I'm not sure why so many people think I'm an ***, but whatever.

I stand by my assertion that, if it is the policy, simply put up a sign and make all people entering the store wait in a line to be ticketed. Keep them in their rightful order, then direct them via cue line to the return desk. Simple. If you are going to the return desk for any reason, you have to personally be greeted by the store greeter, then you never lose your place in line.

WalMart has enormous lines in my area. Many of those in that line are wiring money overseas, which takes a long time. They should not be allowed to go in front of me because a greeter stops me. The people who sneak in from behind and avert the greeter also go in front of me.

So once again, I understand WHY they want to do it, and I don't care IF they do it. All I am complaining about is the unjust system of pulling some aside and not others. *** I may be, but I suspect a lot of the people replying to this are the ones who are sneaking in front of those of us waiting for our greeter stickers.

By the way, as I've said, I simply tell them to follow me now. If someone else comes along, they know where the return line is, and they will find the greeter there with me!!

Reading, England, United Kingdom #293488

OK what you all don't seem to understand is, the reason I make the greeter follow me to the service desk is so that I won't lose my place in line, and those that "breeze by me" to shop aren't the ones I'm concerned about. It's the ones who cut in line in front of me, and don't wait for their items to be stickered because I'm now being held up waiting for mine, that bother me.

Since I keep saying, it's the fact that THERE IS NO POSTED POLICY OR CONSISTENCY AMONG STORES that bothers me, if I stop because a greeter tells me to, I LOSE MY RIGHTFUL PLACE IN THE RETURN LINE WHICH IS ALWAYS VERY LONG IN WALMART. If it was one line from the door to the return desk, the greeters could paw my stuff all they want!!!

Plus, you're not talking about a return policy, just a store procedure.

Also, if you make the greeter leave to follow you, how many people are going by that should otherwise be stopped? In or out in this case. And the people you claim "breeze in front" of you are obviously there to shop, not wait in line. Otherwise, they'd have to wait in line behind you to get a sticker on their returns.

Wal-Mart = LINES

All. The. Time.

I have zero tolerance for ignorant, idiotic people. Pfft.

Umm...they sticker the items when you walk in the door to prove you came IN with them. It has nothing to do with pricing.

Otherwise, any scammer could walk in the store, pull a bag out of his pocket, fill it with merchandise and then go stand in line at the front of the store to return it.

Duh. It's really not that big of a deal. There's usually 2 entrances, and the each do it. You're going to wait in a big *** line anyway, so does it really matter?

Reading, England, United Kingdom #283061

I have a new policy of my own that works every time. I simply tell the store greeter to follow me to the line at the service desk and he or she can do whatever they please with my order, including holding on to it after they jumble up the bag and slips to put the stickers on it. There is no need to view video tapes of me since in our stores you go in the front door and directly to a line.

RE: Papalouieg, If you would like to wait for security to check video, by all means that is fine. You can wait at customer service while they contact AP.

And maybe after they get around to watching you walk in with it you can start your return after 20-30 min. If that seems faster by all means go ahead.

The stickers you get at the door are to show what comes in the door. It has nothing to do with helping the return, it is information for loss prevention

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #219199

i have issues with the greeters i have noticed some stores hire retards and waramps as greeters. when i was allowed to shop there my friends and i made fun of a mentally retarded greeter. he did not even know we were laughiing at him till someone told him his name is Norman

Reading, England, United Kingdom #219138

I am talking about the stops ENTERING the store, not exiting. As I enter the store they must scan any items I am returning before I can return them.

I wouldn't mind that, actually if they just followed me 10 feet to the line and allowed me to stand in it. Instead, they take time checking my returns while a slew of other people breeze in front of me, thus punishing me for doing what they ask. THAT's why I no longer stop for them, I simply tell them to come with me to the line or call a manager if they think I have entered with stolen merchandise.

I am sure the security cameras would show me taking the bag out of my parked car. Again, I have no issue with the greeters, or whatever policy they have as long as it applies to everyone, no exceptions and they don't pull me out of line.

Reading, England, United Kingdom #219132

I'm not complaining about the People Greeters. I actually think that's a lovely idea.

If you read my post, I am complaining about Walmart's return policy that requires the People Greeters, already doing one job, to hold me hostage at the door while they are forced to do another job and assume I'm guilty of stealing just because I walked 20 steps from the front door to the return room.

People Greeters are great. Walmart's return policy stinks.

Stop complaining about people greeters. They are only protecting the company and doing their job.

People walk out all the time with unpaid merchandise and they are helpful. If it wasnt for them...more thieves would get more merchandise out of the store, GIVE THEM A BREAK!!!!

As an asset protection person for walmart, I see so many people walk out with tv's and electronics that they have not paid for. People greeters are important...they help deter theft.... please respect that.

the reason for the stops by door greeters is becasue of the amount of people who walk out the door with unpaid merchandise. It happens all the time If you are honest then dont be mad...get real. They are only protecting the assets

WALMART BLACK FRIDAY IS NO GOOD SAID SOMETHING START AT 5 TO 11 WHEN YOU GET

THERE A 3:30 AND THE STUFF HAD BEEN PAST OUT AT 2:00 WITH A BAND ON YOUR ARM WHAT

THE USE TO GO THERE IF THEY GOING TO DO

THAT THEY SAID ITS IN THE AD WHERE AT I

EVEN READ THE FINE PRINT ITS NOT THERE THAT

IS BAD AD. THAT WILL BE LAST TIME I WILL EVER GO TO BLACK FRIDAY BECAUSE WALMART DONT TELL THE TRUTH WHEN YOU SAY 5 IT SHOULD BE 5 NOT 2 THERE FRIENDS NO ABOUT THIS BUT NOT THE OTHER PEOPLE.

#197555

This is so obvious. The reason they put the sticker on when you walk in is to ensure that you walked in with the product and did not take it from the shelf.

Best Buy does the same thing.

You could easily walk in empty handed, go grab an item that you recently purchased, take it to the counter with the receipt and get your money back for an item you still have at home. Even the most dimwitted unscrupulous person would think of this idea, and Walmart is smart enough (no just common sense really) to sticker the item at the door to prove you brought it in with you.

I don't shop at Wal mart anymore because of

Store #4425

7818 Colonial West Drive

Orlando, FL 32818 and Yolanda in Automotive !

don't shop at Wal mart anymore because of

Store #4425

7818 Colonial West Drive

Orlando, FL 32818 and Yolanda in Automotive !

Walmart is a big RIP OFF in servicing the customers. Their return policy is out of control, and if you shop in the Ghetto areas, you will get GHETTO TREATMENT!

As for them having every right to stop you for shoplifting, it is FALSE. Trust me, if they falsely accuse you of stealing, you can SUE them for millions of their gard earned cash.

I bought a $1.oo ice cream at walmart, and the second the cashier rang it up, he said "one dollar please," and I realized there was no tax. I wasn't expecting that, so I asked if I could put that ice cream back and go get the more expensive one, and he said "no." I was extremely pissed, but didn't show it.

Can anyone explain why he said no? What if I didn't have enough money to buy it after he rang it up? What would he have done? I know there's no returns on foods, but a split second later is a lot different than taking it back after you leave.

What would he have done? Walmart is retarded.