10.5K views
Junior Reviewer

When exiting Walmart there is often a line to get out the door. Ordinarily like most people when there is not a line we have allowed them to check our receipts.

However when it takes 30 minutes just to check out. You can refused to wait in another line while someone checks your purchases before leaving the store. You have the right to refuse an illegal search anytime that is your right. And then making it worse you're being detained by someone stating that you cannot leave until they check your receipt.

Turn on your phone or have someone with you record everything. Because by so doing these things Walmart in my opinion is accusing you of theft and you should be insulted. You may consider calling the police explain to them that you are being accused of theft and would like an officer to witness the return of your purchases.

Make sure to ask the police officer for a copy of his or their report. If you choose to consult an attorney and file a lawsuit for being accused of theft in front of hundreds of store customers and employees, mention unlawful search and that you are being detained.

Therefore, I suggest walking over to customer service, producing your receipt, and returning everything that you just purchased and demanding your money back.

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Receipt Check Facility.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

@PissedConsumer1673572

On yes you sure can charge them with false imprisonment.Just go on line and look up ball vs walmart.Case President has been set.

@PissedConsumer1673572

"The law does not provide a remedy for every annoyance that occurs in daily life. Many things which are distressing or may be lacking in propriety or good taste are not actionable." Kelley v.

Post Publishing Co., 327 Mass. 275, 278, 98 N.E.2d 286, 287 (****). The court, when analyzing causes of action stated under G.L. c.

214, § 1B, is bound by "prevailing societal values and the ability to enter orders which are practical and capable of reasonable enforcement." Schlesinger, 409 Mass. at 519, 567 N.E.2d at 915.

In keeping with this spirit and in all the circumstances, you have to show that inspecting what you had just purchased was either a substantial or serious intrusion on your right to privacy." Basically the law says it's an annoyance but the law does not remedy things that are just annoying, and that society has deemed checking a receipt is reasonable enforcement and that unless you can show what you purchased is a serious intrusion on your right to privacy (and Wal-Mart really would not sell such items) they are perfectly within their legal right to ask to compare your receipt with the items in your bag and this has been upheld in a court of law. So yeah there isn't a law specifically that says they can, however there isn't a law saying they can't either.

@PissedConsumer1673431

Even their own policy disagrees with you. They can only check if they already have reasonable suspicion that you’ve stolen something PRIOR to asking for the receipt.

If they really do ask everyone they’re violating policy. AP-09

@PissedConsumer1682198

I notice that alot of the time people using the self-checkout lanes leave their receipts behind. What if they are stopped at the door and are asked to show their receipt, and the receipt has fallen on the ground and gotten lost?

@PissedConsumer1673431

The people who do not care about their rights will be the first to complain when our now free country turns into another North Korea.

@PissedConsumer1673431

why are people so eager to give up their rights? They do not have the right to ask for your receipt unless they have probable cause to believe you have stolen.

Just because they can't bag a case of pop, or invest in stickers does not give them the right to treat you like a thief.

It is not discretionary and it is prejudicial to stop some people and not others. If you want to continue to roll over and let people tramp on your rights that's on you but don't criticize others who demand to be treated with respect as an American.

@PissedConsumer1673431

It starts off small...like the showing of reciets....foget you corperations.You do not rule us you never will.we are free...we the people.l

@PissedConsumer1625252

You have no clue what you are talking about. 4th amendment only applies to government agencies. Just like you have no 1st amendment rights in businesses.

I never stop to show my receipt. I'm not mean or rude, I just walk on by with my purchase.

@PissedConsumer1613565

Me too!

Technically they are not accusing you of theft. Just asking for your receipt.

You don't have to show it. But you are a fool for complaining about waiting in line for a receipt after waiting for 30 minutes at checkout. That like is not even a minute long.

Next time they insist on the receipt, push them aside,give them the finger and walk off. Instead of suing, try to get a job and earn your own money.

@Leaira Zfx

And if you push them they can then sue you for assault.

@PissedConsumer1564891

Can press charges for assault

Tell the clown at the door to go to....

That's weird because when I was leaving tonight they were a little less polite than normal and you're right they are checking people even my stuff was all bagged up and two people had just seen me check out and I had to wait for a few seconds it wasn't a big deal I don't mind if it's not a long wait if they want to check my receipt but then they started looking through all my bags and how much do you have to figure out you can see that I paid for everything, come on you don't have to go through my bags. They've had a lot of theft problems I don't think th managers know how to deal with it legally. Sounds like they better be careful they're going to end up with a lawsuit I'm someone is not understanding like me.

@PissedConsumer1499597

Little girl, unless they directly accuse you of theft, you do not have a lawsuit. Instead of suing why not get a job and earn your one money. You know the mature adult way.

@Leaira Zfx

Yeah you need to get a job and learn how to spell!!!

@PissedConsumer1499597

Agreed. You have to try not to *** off more innocent customers than the thieves that you stop. It's a very tricky and dicey balance.

I would actually prefer that you don't go to Walmart so we don't have to listen to your silly whining. You must appear guilty, I have NEVER been stopped while leaving a Walmart store.I have never been treated with anything but respect at Walmart. It must be you.

@ramjet

You must be one of the sheep lol

Walmart Reviews