10.4K views

My son just turned 16 years old, and applied at Wal-Mart. He was so happy when they called him for an interview. He came home and told us he had the job. Next, he went in for the so-called orientation where they sent him for a drug test. He did it and passed. Then they had him fill out information for a background check so he did, and then he waited and waited and waited for them to call him to start work. He then got a copy of the background report in the mail with a clear background, nothing on it and called Wal-Mart to find out when he can start working. They told him to call the background place and give them permission to let Wal-Mart have the information, so he did, several times back and forth phone calls.

He received another background check. Finally, the background check company told him he didn't get the job and they sent him a turn down letter. He went to Wal-Mart and they said that is their policy. It turned out that when he filled out the paper work for the background check, they told him (while he believed he was an employee, an implied verbal contract by Wal-Mart) to put everything he ever did on the paper; if he got in trouble for anything, put it on the paper. He did get in trouble as a minor (he still is a minor) and the records are sealed, of only minor fractions of the laws, that of a misdemeanor. But he listed everything anytime he had a situation when the police were involved. They told him to put everything down because if they found something that he didn't put down, he would lose his job. And then when he was found clean with nothing on his record, they fired him or reversed the hiring because of what he had put down on the form.

I am so angry that this is Wal-Mart's policy, and I intend to make people aware of this policy, also to suggest people don't shop there anymore. Being a student in the College of Legal Studies at Kaplan University, I feel his civil rights have been violated as well as him being a minor and assumed Spanish but because of his background was discriminated against. This was his very first job, so it really sucks he went to such an awful place for employment, but the one who misses out is Wal-Mart. My son is a genius with computers, and is gifted as named by the schools for some extremely high scores (100%) on state tests; probably one of the hardest workers, biggest team player, and the least likely to steal. I don't think that Wal-Mart could have had a better employee, but now I know why they are always short on staff, who are overworked and treat customers like they are a burden, and have to lock everything up so no one can buy it, instead of a staff that is friendly and can help customers with questions, much less releasing the merchandise into a good paying customer's hands.

I can't tell you how much money they have lost because of the lock down of merchandise. Anyways, I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore and I feel Americans should boycott a store that violates the civil rights of the American people especially its youth. When you are 16 years old, you can't have much of a background. Are they kidding me?

Comments

Wilmington, Delaware, United States #1279372

be glad that your son has escaped working for this evil company.

Advise him that sometimes bad luck is just good luck in disguise!

Oakland, California, United States #1279369

They did me the same way

Lodi, California, United States #1195360

Could it be he is sixteen. I have never heard of Walmart hiring anyone that young unless they have already graduated high school.

They did me the same way

lol your son sucks

They did the same thing to me which is very dumb, it's 2015 I have two kids no job because of a misdemeanor in 2011

to Anonymous #1098939

Well committing the misdemeanor is dumb as well. People like the OP's son and yourself need to grow up and learn that actions have consequences. The first step of this is to admit fault if you want improve.

to Anonymous #1200088

Can you read? Both owned up to it.

I only go to Walmart when I need something that I can't get anywhere else in our town. Embroidery floss.

(no, I'm not kidding)

The cashiers there all look so miserable.

It's awful that they treat you like *** when you checkout but since they all do, they must really hate their employer.

Maybe your son lucked out. Best wishes on his getting a better offer soon :)

I understand how you feel... Thats even with me, I was in an abuseive relationship, that cause me to have a background...

I'm afraid from walmart strict policy that will not get this job.

Because of the discrimination they against people and the history from the pass... It's sad to say this is the world we live in

to Anonymous Orange, California, United States #1038097

How were they to know you were in an abusive relationship unless you told them.

to KevinRichards #1038119

Unfortunately my it was so bad that my ex had to report me to the police. I was young at that time and made mistakes.

I was angry, I had a lot going on in my life and unfortunately I took it out on my ex. That was a very long time ago. I have went through anger management classes, and never hit a woman since. I have another wife and we are hoping to have children soon.

I am hoping to get a job so that I can go to college and get a better job. I was rejected after a police reference check because the domestic abuse was on my file. These charges were a little under five years ago and I am still paying the price not only from Walmart but other companies as well. I fear when they ask for a police reference because of a mistake that I made in the past which was not entirely my fault.

I was only 18 and did not know better. Part of the reason I hit my wife (and don't get me wrong I am not defending my actions) was because she provoked me.

to Anonymous #1098941

Yeah people who abuse their spouses are "discriminated" against, just like people who commit other crimes. You are lucky to be able to type after you abused your wife, if I had a daughter and I found out her husband abused her he would not be able to use his fingers.

Why, as a student in the College of Legal studies at Kaplan University, did you not advise your son, who as a juvenile, does have to tell them anything about any trouble he has gotten in to, not to volunteer anything? They can't go searching for his juvenile record, only his public record of any place he has worked before.

I also doubt very seriously, that he was discriminated against because he was assumed Hispanic. Most likely it was all the bad information about himself that he volunteered on his forms.

Why are you unhappy with Walmart's practice of locking up

valuable merchandise? It isn't to keep you from purchasing it, but to keep you from stealing it.

I don't think anyone will stop shopping there because of your son not getting hired. Tell your son to try to get on somewhere his school recommends.

to Anonymous #1002258

She should know this raising a thief and all. If they did not lock up valuable merchandise her son would steal it.

to KevinRichards Irving, Texas, United States #1018173

KevinRichards who said her son was a the thief

to Ni Orange, California, United States #1021149

read some of her other comments, she admits her son has a history of shoplifting.

to Anonymous Orange, California, United States #1002259

I got fired almost 4 years ago from there. On my resignation it states excessive tardies and absentees.

I was 6 months pregnant. If i called out with an excuse it counted against you.They have a policy that states no one can miss no more than 6 days in a year. They looked at me as if i had a disesase being pregnant . I had been with walmart at that time 3 years strong.

I have not been able to get hired any where since then. They swear they have nothing to do with that. There should be a law that states former employers shouldn't be allowed to disclose anything negative aboutan employee, except their work history . They told me i was elgible for rehire, but have yet to hire me back..

Personel always say we can't pull your application and if you meet qualifications for a position then well call. That's bogus. I know for a fact certain managers have pulled applications for their favorite employees. I am a single mother of three who needs to work.

I just want a job, and i feel something is up with them , when they want even hire me back , but claim I'm eligible for rehire. I found. out that they would rather hire inexperienced workers with no work history than the ones who do have it.

They do this so they can pay minimum wage salaries . I ended at 9.25, i mean come on am i supposed to take less..I think not.

to Olivia67 Orange, California, United States #1002212

Quit using your pregnancy as an excuse, there was another reason you were fired. You are about to be a mother is this what you want to teach your child, to lie and make excuses instead of admitting fault?