Apollo, Pennsylvania
11K views

My son just turned 16 years old, and applied at Wal-Mart. He was so happy when they called him for an interview. He came home and told us he had the job. Next, he went in for the so-called orientation where they sent him for a drug test. He did it and passed. Then they had him fill out information for a background check so he did, and then he waited and waited and waited for them to call him to start work. He then got a copy of the background report in the mail with a clear background, nothing on it and called Wal-Mart to find out when he can start working. They told him to call the background place and give them permission to let Wal-Mart have the information, so he did, several times back and forth phone calls.

He received another background check. Finally, the background check company told him he didn't get the job and they sent him a turn down letter. He went to Wal-Mart and they said that is their policy. It turned out that when he filled out the paper work for the background check, they told him (while he believed he was an employee, an implied verbal contract by Wal-Mart) to put everything he ever did on the paper; if he got in trouble for anything, put it on the paper. He did get in trouble as a minor (he still is a minor) and the records are sealed, of only minor fractions of the laws, that of a misdemeanor. But he listed everything anytime he had a situation when the police were involved. They told him to put everything down because if they found something that he didn't put down, he would lose his job. And then when he was found clean with nothing on his record, they fired him or reversed the hiring because of what he had put down on the form.

I am so angry that this is Wal-Mart's policy, and I intend to make people aware of this policy, also to suggest people don't shop there anymore. Being a student in the College of Legal Studies at Kaplan University, I feel his civil rights have been violated as well as him being a minor and assumed Spanish but because of his background was discriminated against. This was his very first job, so it really sucks he went to such an awful place for employment, but the one who misses out is Wal-Mart. My son is a genius with computers, and is gifted as named by the schools for some extremely high scores (100%) on state tests; probably one of the hardest workers, biggest team player, and the least likely to steal. I don't think that Wal-Mart could have had a better employee, but now I know why they are always short on staff, who are overworked and treat customers like they are a burden, and have to lock everything up so no one can buy it, instead of a staff that is friendly and can help customers with questions, much less releasing the merchandise into a good paying customer's hands.

I can't tell you how much money they have lost because of the lock down of merchandise. Anyways, I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore and I feel Americans should boycott a store that violates the civil rights of the American people especially its youth. When you are 16 years old, you can't have much of a background. Are they kidding me?

Comments

@D. Boyer

The best thing to do is to never shop at that store again. I worked there and very rarely shop there.Like you said there loss is enormous.Yes, I would everytime make my complaints public but in a contructive and thoughtful way.

Your son has learned an enormous lesson in that deals are not set in stone

and jobs can come and go instantly.Education is enormous and he should get some to compensate for his record.I have one question though: if his records were sealed did they actually get them?

Did he have to say anything about them since they were sealed? I would complain about that issue and the fact that he was asked to divulge this.

@Dizzy

I think he volunteered the information on his application, that he has been in trouble with the law. He told them.

Now they can hold it against him.

Whether it is theft or domestic violence or drug charges, they can now delete his name from consideration.

They did not go through the courts to get his sealed records. They can't.