Nixa, Missouri
2.8

This one rather takes the cake. A year ago I bought a new battery for my Ford Ranger at Walmart. No problem. However, at the time the clutch in my truck went out so the truck sat for six months on the driveway. I went to start it one day. The battery was totally dead, apparently drained from just sitting there. That can happen. I removed it from the truck, took it to Walmart they they recharged it. Not a problem.

I got the battery back, or at least what thought was my battery. However, as I was concerned that it would go dead again I did NOT put it back in the truck at that time. Instead, it sat in my garage until a few days ago (March 17, 2014). When I tried to re-install it, it wouldn’t fit. I was scheduled to get my truck fixed and had no choice, at that point, but to have the truck towed to the repair shop. It turns out that probably SAVED me thousands.

It seems that Walmart gave me back not only the wrong battery but one that was too powerful for my truck and, worse, that reversed the polarity of the leads. My mechanic tells me that HAD I actually managed to reconnect this battery to my truck and started it that I VERY likely would have fried my entire electrical system resulting in thousands in damage. And, good luck taking Walmart to small claims court and, THANKFULLY, I won't have to deal with that headache.

To be sure, no damage was done and Walmart DID replace this battery with the correct one. Still, as the saying goes: buyer beware. Someone I know told me that they once had their tires rotated and, in the process, the mechanic never tightened the lug nuts almost causing one of the wheels to fall off before the owner discovered the screw up. Inept mechanics and clears can cause a LOT of potential damage.

As I walked out the door, the person at the desk said, “see you next time”. I thought to myself, “not in your dreams, buddy.” As the old saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

Product or Service Mentioned: Walmart Cake.

Preferred solution: Problem resolved, though it did cost me $69 to have the vehicle probably unnecessarily towed. Mostly water under the bridge and I'm VERY thankful no real damage done..

Walmart Cons: Customer service.

Comments