Ease of Use
Layout of Store

My wife and I and are 3 kids 8,4 and 2. We were checking out my eight year old son.

Who is autistic was helping his mother check out well I was chasing the two younger ones around they apparently forgot to scan a pair of socks. I just spent $200 on coats and clothes and other stuff. We get to the exit 2 unmarked man stop us one tells me they are security the other starts going through the bags in the cart. Grabs the sock asks for the receipt and says yeah they are not on here.

We got you on tape just putting them in the bag. My wife has to go with them well I take the kids to the car. They don't treat her very nice. They wouldn't let her see the video tape when she asks.

Said it was company policy.

We had the money to pay for them told her no they are evidence. Treated her like we tried to steal a $8.00 pack of socks!!!!!!

Comments

Many shoplifters have enough money in their pocket to pay for the items they take. They try to slip out with an extra item or two just for the challenge.

Perhaps they feel the should get an extra "discount" for all the money they spend at a store.

The fact is you put merchandise in you bag that you hadn't paid for. It's not their fault you were stopped for taking a product you didn't pay for.

I was wrongfully accused today and they went to the extent of calling the police and I was wrongfully incarcerated to top it off loss my holiday pay for my management position at Walgreens inconvenienced my coworker who missed his daughters birthday party and scared my 7 year old.

I hope you get an attorney. Walmart is doing this at all of their stores all over America!

They take you back decide exactly what it is that you didn’t pay for, then they proceed to tell you that you can’t pay for it but they will reported to corporate and corporate will be in touch with you. When corporate calls you it’s explained that they are filing a civil suit against you for a minimal amount that you didn’t pay for it it’s going to end up costing you thousands. They will thenWork out a payment plan with you and if you don’t they will see criminal charges. It’s bullying and it’s ***!

Walmart is losing tons of money to companies like Amazon and they have to make it up somewhere. You’re not alone this is happening too many people and I can promise you I see a class-action lawsuit against Walmart in the very near future because what they’re doing is not legal!!

to Donewithwalmart #1489214

I agree completely don’t refuse to say that you were stealing (which I wasn’t) and try to pay either they will call the police and cause you worse embarrassment than needed for their faulty equipment problems which I told them several times today and on other occasions that the self checkout and Walmart app were not working correctly.

The fact that you mention your son is autistic - which has nothing to do with the story - tells me your complaint is bogus. Attention seeking. Get over yourself, pay attention when checking out - case closed.

aliens_amoung_us

Your children running around with unpaid merchandise is not the company's problem, it's yours. Regardless of age or disability, you as the parent are responsible for your children and how they act.

Merchandise not paid for, and you leaving the store with the item equals stealing.

Paid for the stuff your kids have, better yet your kids shouldn't have any merchandise to begin with. Lesson learned.

Nobody ever wants to take responsibility anymore.

to aliens_amoung_us #1400499

I will pray for you. You're a judgemental ***..

to Anonymous #1400687

So exactly what should Target security have done, Anonymous?

to Anonymous #1400689

So exactly what should Walmart security have done, Anonymous?

to Anonymous #1400989

I will pray for your children who have such an incompetent parent.

aliens_amoung_us
to Anonymous #1401207

And I'll pray for you also, for you are an idiot for raising kids with no manners, just like your parents raised you.

to Anonymous #1406613

Anonymous Dec 5th, you're one of those people that do not understand that it is not the company's policy too watch children. maybe you should go get educated instead of complaining.

to aliens_amoung_us #1400850

I remember a long long time ago taking a pack of Good n' Plenty from the Dart store when I was 7. We got home my mother found it and took me back to apologize to the manager for stealing. I've never stolen since.

to 23502 #1517566

LOL, mine was a caramel and I was 5 at most. I was so embarrassed that the thought of trying to intentionally take something from a company sends chills down my spine and the dread of any eyes on me to this day.

to aliens_amoung_us #1517561

There's no accounting for mistakes? Not allowing a customer to correct an error (which is both owning up to a mistake AND taking responsibility in which the author stated they were willing to do and had the means to do so) and thus not only try to sully their good name but then turn down further revenue by denying them the ability to return to the store seems like one of the most illogical business models I've heard of.

I agree that merchandise not paid for is stealing if the intent is there and no effort to resolve the issue in a mutually beneficial manner is approached by the offending party.Missing something on the self-check-out, even a couple of items not scanned unintentionally is no reason to ruin a person's life, current job, and future job possibilities just because you want to be a lazy corporation and follow a one-size-fits-all approach to this scenario. Why not get a customer's information (they are gathering it anyhow) and instead of banning, give a single warning with a document identifying what would get them kicked out/arrested in the future (which I didn't even know in some areas you can be accused of shoplifting while still inside the store). Seems more of a win-win this way... The person that made the mistake doesn't get their lives turned upside down, and the store retains a customer (and the additional revenue otherwise lost).As for the children in the story, they give context to the situation as to why the wife was hauled off and not him and the autistic child has bearing when you consider they may have been the one to inadvertently put the item in the bags unbeknownst to the parents.In our modern expedited lives, there are those of us that have and those of us that have not.

Those of us that have not, tend to have not the time, habit, or often times the reason to look over our receipt at the end of a purchase let alone the patience to try and figure out what half the items actually are based on the store's shorthand since price can be the same across multiple items.

It's okay to set expectations, but reasonable ones that encompass the majority of the scenario's (simple human error over malicious theft attempt) over the opposite treating everyone under the least common scenario.Intentional theft/shoplifting should be dealt with and taken into account when someone is identified as having missed paying for items in the cart, but not at the expense of those with extenuating circumstances and lack of desire/intent to steal in the first place and willing to take account for the mistake and correct the error. If they are unwilling to correct the error and take account for the mistake then follow through with criminal proceedings at that point as a clear indicator of intent to steal the items.